Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > adjectives ed and ing    

adjectives ed and ing

solracsilva
Colombia

adjectives ed and ing

Hi you there.

Good afternoon.

I would like you to share with me a good way to teach this topic "adjectives ed and ing" in a very innovative way. I want my students to have a great time in class.

Thanks beforehand

17 Jun 2013      

maryse pey�
France

"ed" indicates that the subject is completely passive and "ing" that the subject is active.

Let �s take an example :

This book is interestING : that is to say the book AWAKES the reader �s interest
AND
I �m interested in archeology : that is to say "Archeology is like a magnet and appeals me. I can �t help !"

So this book about archeology is interesting (because it is well written and full of details of course) and as I am interested in archeology I will dive into the book. This book has hypnotized me and I has obeyed it reading it.

Do you like this explanation ?

17 Jun 2013     

solracsilva
Colombia

thank you Maryse Pey�

In addition I would like to know a game to introduce the topic. As a warm up

Thanks again

17 Jun 2013     

maryse pey�
France

Well, what about the ed-ing (for eNding) hunt ?

Give some roots : "enchant" "learn" "teach" "sing" "bewitch"...

Make the students find the -ing form and the -ed form, or irregular past participle.

Make one student write them on the blackboard.

After a dozen "root - root-ing - root-ed or irregular past participle" try to make the student speak sentences with each separate root-ed, then root-ing.

Then ask the others what they have understood.

Then make the students invent sentences with both -ed and -ing type :

This enchanting scenery lets all the tourists enchanted and makes them soon coming back.

Then you can ask : "who is the enchanter ?" "who is under the power of the enchantment ?"

May it help ?

18 Jun 2013     

Theodo
Greece

You could talk about movies or books and as a warm up, ask what kind of films/books they are: interesting, frightening, moving, exciting.For example Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings are very interesting films.  Then, how they felt about them (e.g. excited, moved, thrilled, frightened, scared, interested).

18 Jun 2013     

danabentchik
United States

I made it simple for my kids - when I taught this, they were false beginners, so I used totally simple language to explain and they got it immediately:

ed describes a feeling
ing describes quality (characterizes the person or thing)

Check my WSS, I have one on this topic and it was a success. Here it is:

http://www.eslprintables.com/grammar_worksheets/adjectives/adjectives_ed_or_ing/Adjectives_with_ED_and_ING_554164/#thetop

Dana

19 Jun 2013