Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > CCTV in the classroom?    

CCTV in the classroom?

Chausie
Russian Federation

CCTV in the classroom?

Hi all,

When I arrived at work today I was surprised to find a CCTV camera installed in the corner of my classroom, as well as a small microphone hanging from the ceiling in the centre of the room!

I soon found out that the school plans to "broadcast" all children �s lessons online so that parents can watch from home. (And I imagine management will also use the cameras to monitor teachers).

Fortunately, this officially starts next academic year, and I �m leaving this school before then, but I felt very uncomfortable while teaching today, knowing somebody outside the classroom could be watching and listening!

I understand having open lessons, where parents can attend and see their kids in class, but I really don �t think it �s beneficial or necessary for parents to constantly be able to monitor their children during class, and I think CCTV doesn �t help to create a safe and cosy classroom environment.

What do you think? Do you know of schools which record/broadcast all lessons?

20 Jun 2013      

dmharg
Greece

I have never heard anything like that before and I think it is against the law. If I were you I would report them to the authorities. You shouldn �t quit your job because of that. Talk to a lawyer. That is what I would do

20 Jun 2013     

Chausie
Russian Federation

Oh, I wasn �t clear - I �m not quitting because of the cameras, I decided not to renew my contract about 6 months ago.

I �m just interested in how widespread this practice is. I �m glad you �d never heard of it before!

20 Jun 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

We have CCTV in our classrooms and we are glad of it, but it �s for our protection. I can �t believe anybody could just access that!!! I �m sure it would be illegal here. Any old paedophile could be spying on the kids! I think it �s awful. Are you sure it �s accessible to outsiders? 

20 Jun 2013     

Chausie
Russian Federation

cunliffe, it �ll only be for the parents - I guess they �ll have to log in to the school �s website to be able to watch the classes, but I don �t know any details.

Why are you glad about the CCTV at your school? Do they record sound as well as picture?

20 Jun 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I accept it �s only meant for parents, but there are privacy issues involved there. I don �t like the idea behind it - it �s too Big Brother.
We are happy because occasionally fights can start, or students can make accusations and in that case, you can always consult the camera. If we want to check anything on CCTV, we have to get the headteacher �s permission. There are no microphones. I don�t know - maybe this is the future but I don�t like it! 

20 Jun 2013     

spinney
United Kingdom

I think it �s great when the school has access to it and the police can look at it if there is an incident. But if parents are watching it online I absolutely guarantee they will be phoning  the school by the end of the first day to tell them how to give classes. I suspect this will be offline within less than a month. Perhaps we could all have a bet on this. How long does everybody give the school before they get fed up with the parents calling in and take it offline? LOL

20 Jun 2013     

ELOJOLIE274
France

I would only agree to have a camera in my classroom if it was for our protection, but being watched - and listened to!!! - by parents all the time is a very stupid idea IMH... what s the point really? do they need to know what �s happening in class, if their children are happy/learning new things? then why not ASK their kids AFTER school? do they need to know if the teacher is competent/qualified and if he has lesson plans...? it �s not their job to check that...

20 Jun 2013     

Chausie
Russian Federation

I agree that the idea feels very Big Brother. I understand that CCTV (without sound) could protect teachers in some cases, though it really doesn �t seem necessary at a small, friendly school with well behaved students.

spinney
, good idea for the bet! ...but I �m afraid I wouldn �t be able to let you know if/when they decide to scrap the idea, since I �m leaving anyway.

20 Jun 2013     

spinney
United Kingdom

@ Chausie. You could always install your own camera to watch the CCTV camera.Wink
Seriously though, I think you are making the best decision leaving. We have microphones in our classrooms but that �s just for monitoring the classes for quality control. But letting the parents listen in??!!??!! That �s complete madness! I hope you find somewhere better than that place.

20 Jun 2013     

JoanneJoanne
Korea, South

CCTV is quite commonplace in Korean English academies. After a while you get used to them, however, in my opinion they are a sign that you may be working under an authoritarian mangagement style. If CCTV is acceptable to your boss, then you will probably find that other intrusive or oppressive rules and regulations will be, or have already been, introduced into your workplace. I would also like to point out that it is very often difficult to fully understand the context of a situation just from seeing it on CCTV. Incidents can be misunderstood, even if there is video and sound. Parents watching from home, or even your boss watching in his/her office, can misunderstand what you are doing or saying because they are not in the room. On the other hand, we did have a student who accused a teacher of hitting his head. After viewing CCTV footage, the teacher was cleared.

20 Jun 2013     

1    2    Next >