Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Need help with "mental health day"    

Need help with "mental health day"

Tere-arg
Argentina

Need help with "mental health day"

Hi.  Could anyone tell me if it is correct to say "mental health day"?
If so, what does it  mean exactly ? Taking a day off just to release stress?

I had never heard of the expression before.

I�ve searched for info on the net, but ...  have not found much.

12 Jul 2013      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

There �s a day for almost everything nowadays! I haven �t heard of this one, but it makes perfect sense. It would be a day when we are made aware of, or think about, or do activities around mental health. Avoiding stress, combatting depression, understanding bipolar syndrome etc. 

12 Jul 2013     

yanogator
United States

It �s not an official term, sort of a joke. And you �re right that it �s a day that you take off to maintain your sanity.

Bruce

12 Jul 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Mental_Health_Day ?
but by the looks of it you seem to have found your answers.
Like Lynne I �ve never heard of it before:)
Sophia

12 Jul 2013     

Tere-arg
Argentina

THANKS so much to all of you!!!  Hug

12 Jul 2013     

Apodo
Australia

That phrase is heard and used quite often here. You don �t have to be suffering from any real mental illness, but as Bruce said , it �s a day off work that helps maintain sanity. And we all need that sometimes.

12 Jul 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

...So you are feeling stressed out and you just drive on, straight past the school gates, just keep going till you hit them there hills... Blue sky, the wind on your face... I �m feeling better just holding that image. Wink

13 Jul 2013     

Jayho
Australia

@Apodo, I �ve never heard that used here - maybe it �s different on the East Coast

13 Jul 2013     

joy2bill
Australia

Here on the Gold Coast we use "Mental Health Day" but it �s not really an offical term. It is commonly used in NZ as well.
I think I could use one of these days ...hmm, what would the boss say as we are in the middle of tour group season right now!

14 Jul 2013