Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > WOD    

WOD

ueslteacher
Ukraine

WOD

Thanks, Mar, for choosing my definition:) Sorry, everyone, I �m away in a summer school for teacher trainers in a hotel in the Transcarpathian region and I couldn �t get connected for a couple of days.
So here �s the word for you to define

overdue

(a pretty easy word but what about some witty definitions?:)

Sophia

17 Jul 2013      

MoodyMoody
United States

o!: common interjection indicating surprise
verd: the right to cut green trees in a forest to use for fuel
UE: acronym for the University of Exeter

So, overdue is the expression of surprise upon learning that lumber companies have the right to cut trees on the University of Exeter campus. See how easy that is?

17 Jul 2013     

pameladion24
Canada

MoodyMoody, that was just phenomenal! I can �t compete with that. I am speechless!

Naomi from Quebec, Canada.   

18 Jul 2013     

Matthew@ELSP
Japan

Sounds to me (I am English) like an American-English speaking newscaster, who, at the end of the intro to the story says... "Over to you" a little too quickly, and the camera cuts to the man on the scene. Sorry it is not a definition, but just what popped into my head the moment I saw it.

18 Jul 2013     

douglas
United States

It#s actually an Italian expression refering to a doctor doing a sonogram on a woman and discovering that she is having twins:

Italian:
Uove-eggs
due- two

"Ove? ...rrr...Due!"

18 Jul 2013     

sarguero
Spain

If overdue means not paid at the scheduled timeCry

I�ll turn it around for "eudrevo" then it means paid at the scheduled time, a very interesting question when you are waiting your paysheet at the end of the month.  Wink

18 Jul 2013     

mohamedthabet
Tunisia

A husband and his wife live in a flat just under the flat of his parents - in- law and opposite to that of other relatives he doesn �t know well. He usually comes back from work late and often finds a male "cousin" watching TV with his wife in the sitting room. He grows suspicious of them, and to his surprise when he opens the door tonight he finds two "cousins" there, and not in the sitting room this time; they are sitting in his bedroom. He can �t bear it anymore, and angrily shouts at his wife: " OVER  DUE!"

The poor wife gets really confused this time, for she couldn �t figure out what he means: is he simply blaming her" This is too much ! 2 this time!" or ordering her to join her parents"  Go straight (due) Up to your parents (over)!"

18 Jul 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

@ Douglas LOL.

Overdue is an abbreviation. Over is short for overtly superior/way over the top and due is short for grand duchess. So it �s a noun. An overdue is an overbearing, pompous grande dame who looks down her nose at everybody else. Women like this are all fur coat and no knickers. 

(to look down one�s nose at others = to think you are better than everybody else.
all fur coat and no knickers = splendid to look at, but with no substance)

18 Jul 2013     

MoodyMoody
United States

@ Lynne,

Maybe the overdue has overdue? (Combining our two definitions) LOL

18 Jul 2013     

Mar0919
Mexico

Guys, you all got it all wrong! "Overdue" is just the cute way a little girl has of mispronuouncing words while singing her heart out at an audition of America �s Got Talent....

18 Jul 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Awesome entries, friends!
Loved the old lady in a fur coat:) and the young contestant:)
But I �ll go for Matthew �s American English explanation:)
So, Matthew "overdue"LOL
Sophia

20 Jul 2013