Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > hello everybody    

hello everybody

metcet20
Turkey

hello everybody

Everyone says that the merchant won �t pay his debts

The merchant is said not to pay his debts.   Is it grammatical to use negative inf here. Is it formal or old usage

Thank you

19 Jul 2013      

yanogator
United States

It is definitely correct. It sounds just a little formal, but it is really the only passive form, and the passive often sounds formal.

Bruce

19 Jul 2013     

mohamedthabet
Tunisia

Definitely Bruce is right. We can also use the passive form the following way, though.

It is said the merchant won �t pay his debts.

19 Jul 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Of course Bruce is right as always Big smile. I will just point out though, that the two sentences given don �t mean the same. 
Everyone says that the merchant won �t pay his debts implies that he won �t pay on this occasion.
The merchant is said not to pay his debts means that he never pays them. 

20 Jul 2013     

mohamedthabet
Tunisia

So, cunliffe, would the sentence: " It �s said (that) the merchant won �t pay his debts." give the same meaning as the original one?

N.B. I �ve never doubted BRUCE IS RIGHT. 

20 Jul 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Yes, mohamedthabet, it does. 

The merchant is said not to pay his debts means everyone says that the merchant doesn �t pay his debts.   

I never doubted that you ever doubted Bruce, by the way.Wink 

20 Jul 2013     

yanogator
United States

@Lynne,
You might want to re-read your last sentence, since it says that you are sure that mohamedthabet doubted me. I actually doubt that you never doubted that mohamed ever doubted me. I �m hoping that you did doubt that mohamed ever doubted me, and would always doubt it. (Are you familiar with the "I can �t believe it �s not butter" scene from the Vicar of Dibley?)

And yes, Lynne makes a good point that "won �t pay" and "doesn �t pay" imply two different things. "Won �t pay" is essentially talking about this one incident, while "doesn �t pay" is speaking generally about this merchant �s payment (actually, non-payment) habits.

Is everyone thoroughly confused now?

Bruce

22 Jul 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Mmm, I �m not sure, you know. I can �t get my head around the real meaning of my sentence at all! I am bamboozled. To paraphrase it, I had no doubts that he had ever had any doubts about you. I think it �s OK. Surely we can �t be disagreeing and surely you can �t be wrong!

I �ll be googling the scene from the Vicar of Dibley.

Lynne 

23 Jul 2013