Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > classroom rules    

classroom rules

Pretty3
Saudi Arabia

classroom rules

Hello, I �d like to know your ideas about your classroom rules. Do you prefer to give your rules in the first class ? or during the coming classes? Do you like to discuss the rules with your students? I hope you to share your opinions and ideas here Regards, :)

24 Jul 2013      

gscott1979
China

Depending on the class I like to make the rules, and punishments, with my students. There are some of my own I will insist on but they often end up covering most of the rules themselves and sometimes their punishments are worse than I would administer.
I would usually do this for 20 minutes in the first class, after warmers and get to know each other activities, then have the students make a poster with the rules and everyone �s signature at the bottom agreeing with it.
(This is not my original idea, I learnt it off many other teachers in the past)

24 Jul 2013     

casuarina84
Malaysia

definitely in the first lesson itself I will list down all the dos and don �t s... This is because, the first impression is very crucial. So, the first time you enter the classroom, you can tell them what you like and what you don �t like. It is always important to be positive and strict. HAPPY TEACHING :)

25 Jul 2013     

SaraMariam
United States

I agree with Scott, definitely do them together with the students (just insist on some  that are important to you and they don �t name them). My experience is that they are often much harder on themselves than I would ever be ;). And they feel more connected to the rules as it was them who made them and not forced to accept.
 It depends a lot on the age as well. With little children it �s not just something you tell them at the beginning of a year, but it �s more like implimenting things during the course of the first days or even weeks.

25 Jul 2013     

Pretty3
Saudi Arabia

Thanks a lot for your replies. Can you give some examples of the punishments that you use or what your students suggessted?

25 Jul 2013     

SaraMariam
United States

You should read the book "First days of school" by Harry Wong. It �s a really good read on how to implement rules at the beginning of the school year.

I personally don �t like to work much with punishments, didn �t bring me anywhere with the students. Positive reinforcements work much better for me (meaning when somebody does something good you encourage the student or give him a small treat (depending on age) so they want to do more, instead of showing bad behaviour. Also encourages others to do good things when they see that others get rewarded for good behaviour and work. Fear is not a good teacher, in my eyes. But maybe others have different experiences ...

25 Jul 2013     

Pretty3
Saudi Arabia

no no I don �t like fear either, but some kinds of punishment are very important. They help students to be aware of the rules. I don �t like any kind of punishment that causes fear or problems.

25 Jul 2013