Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Teaching ideas - descriptions    

Teaching ideas - descriptions

Jayho
Australia

Teaching ideas - descriptions

Hi everyone

I have been allocated a 10 wk pre-int adult class for speaking skills focusing on descriptions for people, places and things .

I�m interested to know what tried & tested wonderful ideas you use to teach these descriptions without using worksheets (I�m not a WS person + we have a limit on how many photocopies we can make + we don�t use a course book).  So, I �m after activities that gets them up and about, interacting and having fun.

I�ve already got what has worked for me before but I am really interested in what works for you.

Cheers

Jayho

27 Jul 2013      

Mariethe House
France

You may find some ideas here. Hope so anyway. Cheers from hot , very hot FranceBig smile

http://busyteacher.org/search.html?q=description+games

27 Jul 2013     

marie.marron
Spain

Guess who (where and what in your case) is very useful. You can write or brainstorm a list of famous people, everybody picks one, the rest have to guess by asking questions (is he/she blond, tall, etc.) You can do the same with places and objects. The other option is who/what/where am I. Everyone gets a card which they put on their forehead and they have to guess who (what or where) they are by asking others.
Hope it helps

27 Jul 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Hello Jayho,
you could scoop for ideas here
after all you could always display a ws on the smartboard instead of using an individual copy, especially for a speaking activity.
There are also tons of ppt games like this one here on the site.
Look for OEs and PPTs on describing places here.

maybe this could be of use 
Sophia

27 Jul 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi Jayho. Give the students a list of characters from literature. Get a pile of magazines and ask them to pick pictures and match them to characters, saying why that picture matches that character. Or you could use comparison, this lends itself to both people and places. You need a lot of pictures. I know what you mean about worksheets and photocopying though. I have to reduce the amount of photocopying I do - way over budget!

27 Jul 2013     

Peter Hardy
Australia

Hi Jayho. After you �ve exhausted the above ideas, and if you have some money to spare, check out http://www.teachingenglishgames.com/. Loads of games, but as they �re copyrighted, I cant send more than the link. They do work, if your SS aren �t too shy. I don �t use them often for that reason, but they did work well with my younger ss. Cheers.

27 Jul 2013     

maestralidia
Italy

hi, you can see on my website: www.maestralidia.com look at conversation and describing people. you can find many activities, speking cards, Power points. describing people guide and more.(it �s free) bye. Lidia

28 Jul 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

For things - The old bag trick. Bring in a bag full of bits and bats - bottle opener, watch, perfume, tin opener, glasses case, etc. Pull the first five out and elicit as much info from the ss as you can. Then, get the ss to draw grids - name of object/size/shape/colour/place (where you find it)/ used for. Put them into pairs or groups and give about 5 objects each. After a while, move the groups round so they can fill any gaps and read each other �s grids. Then, ask each student to choose an object and prepare and give an oral presentation. Stop and teach or revise vocab as needed. I always bring something personal (my dad �s pit lamp) and we build up a personal profile of him from this, after describing it. You can develop this into a barrier game - the object is written or drawn on the board, one student has her back to it and the other describes it, can she guess the object? Etc.... 
For places - Holiday destinations. Plenty of pictures - beach/city/rural/snowy mountains etc plus a list of people with brief descriptions. Can they choose the best holiday destination for each person? Describe the scene. Again, stop the flow to teach or revise the vocab as necessary.

Just a few ideas! (Maybe too advanced?) 

28 Jul 2013     

sarguero
Spain

Two  activities about describing  people I made in class  (12 years old kids)
1.- Make some cardboard cubes with the name of 6 famous people. You can use one for singers, actors, history characters,  writers, sportmen�. or mixing different  kind of characters.
Work in pairs  or small groups.  They  throw the dice and then describe the character, you can help the pupils with WH- questions. Try to change the dice between the groups in order they can describe different people with different jobs.

2.- Choose photos of famous people from magazines, stick them, one by one,  in cardboards and  after this put the cards into a box , pick one and show it to the class, one pupil describe the character as he/she actually is  but other pupil must change all the description�  name, sex, features, job�. (plenty of laugh guaranteed)

28 Jul 2013