Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Teaching English as a second language to dyslexic children.    

Teaching English as a second language to dyslexic children.

lesleymisano
Italy

Teaching English as a second language to dyslexic children.

I started (as a private teacher) to help a young Italian dyslexic boy who has had difficulty at school this year with his English lessons.

I have done a lot of research   and listened to several speeches and symposiums onthe subject on Youtube. 

I find he is is most comfortable with mind map type material and distinguishing the parts of the sentence (at the moment verb forms)  we are studying by colouring them, so that he doesn �t have to read the whole sentence to find the verb.
Is there anyone out there with more experience than me who has some good teaching tecniques.

Dyslexy is being diagnosed much more frequently than before and I feel that tecniques should be implemented that give these children the possibility to keep up with the rest of the class 

16 Aug 2013      

ELOJOLIE274
France

I read a great article once - can �t remember the name though, but i had posted on the forum is you care to look - and one great tip to help them read is to print bigger letters, with more space btw each letter and more space btw lines and paragraphs

for example :

I�m finally back home but we had such a great time in France that I would have loved to stay there another week! We stayed in a cosy Bed & Breakfast in Nice, just 5 minutes away from the nearest beach J ! We spent a lot of time visiting Nice and its area, but we also went to Marseilles and Monaco. We went scuba diving once and it was incredible! We also went to Antibes�s Marineland and we saw killer whales, sea lions, polar bears...

I�m finally back home but we had such a great time in France that I would have loved to stay there another week! We stayed in a cosy Bed & Breakfast in Nice, just 5 minutes away from the nearest beach J ! We spent a lot of time visiting Nice and its area, but we also went to Marseilles and Monaco. We went scuba diving once and it was incredible! We also went to Antibes�s Marineland and we saw killer whales, sea lions, polar bears...

the 2nd paragraph will be easier for dyslexic to read - and it �s very easy to implement when you �re creating your worksheets!

16 Aug 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

....And we were advised to use the font Comic Sans. And if writing on the board, each line to be a different colour. 

16 Aug 2013     

lesleymisano
Italy

Thank you for your advice.  Very useful.

16 Aug 2013     

kodora
Greece

Have a look at this link:http://course.dystefl.eu/index.php?id=55
and this one:http://www.languageswithoutlimits.co.uk/dyslexia.html
Dora

16 Aug 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

maybe you �ll be able to find something useful in older forum posts on dyslexia here
Once we had a speaker from the Landmark School, an American school which specializes in teaching students with language-based learning disabilities, and even though we teach EFL, I found her lecture quite interesting and I think a lot of principles they use would apply to EFL. So you might find some useful ideas on their website �s resources page. Check their publications section, there �s stuff to download.
For example, this if you click on the title, there opens a page with an article and supporting activities to download.
Sophia

16 Aug 2013     

timcsi80
Hungary

I have also taught a boy who has/had the same problem in the primary school and I made him speak instead of writing, because he misspelled almost all the words.

He was better at listening to the audio than writing. 

We listened the story several times.

We played role plays, such as shopping clothes.

I checked his knowledge by speaking.

I taught him  words by using lot of pictues.

I hope it will help you.

Timi

16 Aug 2013     

lesleymisano
Italy

Thank you to everyone who has sent me advice about methods for teaching dyslexic students and links to websites which deal with this matter.  It has all been very useful and I am truly grateful to you all.

17 Aug 2013     

alvinaash
United States

SEO Article Writing to Grow Organic Traffic. In the highly competitive online industry, search engines play a major role in getting website traffic and exposure, and any serious website owner would agree that Search Engine Optimization (or SEO) is critical to success. 

4 Jul 2018