Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Help!    

Help!

looky
Thailand

Help!

Can anyone give me any ideas for games or activities for 300 students. My fellow teacher and I are taking 300 students on a one day camp. The camp is in the school and we have to keep P1/P@ occupied for 3 hours in the morning and 3 hours in the afternoon. They are Thai students and very active and can be naughty as all kids of that age can. Please any ideas would be so helpful.

21 Aug 2013      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

A treasure hunt would be good. 
Edit: OOH, that�s a lot of kids! I hope you�ve got plenty of staff assigned. Split them into teams and make the treasure hunt a competition. The sort of thing where they have a clue sheet and the answers or objects are posted all round the place. 

A carousel of activities. A number of tables/stations with different activities on each. Each team has a card and ticks off the activities as they do them. Activities - some examples  1) a guess who? 2) A quiz, 3) An obstacle course that they have to do blindfold. One student in the team gives instructions and the others follow. 4) A coconut shy. 

You could give them all a talk or a demonstration about something of local interest, then put them in teams with flipchart paper and marker pens and ask them to make a mind map about what they have learned.  

It�s a long time for activities! Are there any wannabees? You could have a talent contest.

Further to the treasure hunt - Colour code the groups, so the green group are looking for the clues on green paper etc....

22 Aug 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Treasure hunt is a great idea and you �ll have to think it through really well, maybe even have several treasure hunts going on at the same time but as Lynne said with that number of kids (Wacko) you �ll need a lot of helpers (could you engage older students from your school as helpers?) Everything has to be thoroughly prepared: the tasks/secret messages, the clues, the tokens, the prizes, the places to hide messages, etc.

Another activity could be creating stories and making stick puppets (lots of supplies needed, puppet templates, sticks, markers, sticky tape or glue, etc.) and then presnting, but again it can be done in smaller groups... I would start with a short presentation about puppetry (I have one) to get them inspired, brainstorm famous fables as a base for the characters/make short dialogues between the characters/give instructions/create puppets/act out...
Sophia

22 Aug 2013     

looky
Thailand

Thanks for all the ideas. I had problems with the P1 �s because we had no sound and no projector to show videos that i had downloaded of songs with lyrics. Treasure hunt was a good idea but we did not have much space just a big hall and 300 students. Well we had them for three hours and we live to tell the tale. P2 went off like a dream. We had the projector and started with the songs. They went on for much longer than expected and the students had fun. We then did a worksheet about colors and everyday items with a powerpoint which also went down well. the students asked for more songs so we gave them what they wanted. finished with a dancing competition to Gangnam Style. We will not have so many next time!

1 Sep 2013