Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Should we be using the newest version of Word / PowerPoint?    

Should we be using the newest version of Word / PowerPoint?

Helen McK
Ireland

Should we be using the newest version of Word / PowerPoint?

Hello everybody, Smile

I noticed Khadooy�s comment on the forum in which he suggested that we should be using Microsoft Office 2007 on this site.  As an IT teacher who has worked with various versions of Office in the course of my work, I have to say that I disagree.  It must be remembered that the majority of contributors probably still have older versions of Office on their computers and are more familiar with the older versions.  Furthermore, newer is not always better; in this specific instance, newer is definitely not better!! In the newest version of Office, there are plenty of changes in the sense that the interface has been tarted up a bit and most features have been moved about [If I were really critical, I could say that the Microsoft people have simply �hidden� most features!!Angry Confused Angry], but there are few, if any, substantial improvements.

In the computer centres where I work, some of the organisers were keen to install Office 2007 as soon as it was released onto the market.  They quickly came to realise though that change for the sake of change isn�t always a good thing.  Students were confused, there were problems with compatibility and most course participants were trying to practice on a different version of Office at home. All of the aforementioned centres have now reverted back to using the older version of Office. If I were Victor, I would be in no hurry to change to Office 2007.   

I�m sorry if I have veered off the subject of ESL, but I do think that this issue is also of importance to this site and its contributors.

29 Jan 2009      

crazyorwhat?
France

I agree that at the beginning I thought word 2007 was difficult to use; But now, I really think it�s an improvement, in fact it�s made of lots of �small� improvements that help me save time! the zoom at the bottom of the screen, the green dot that enables you to turn the objects or images .... I like word 2007. I believe the best choice is to use whatever is the easiest for you!!

29 Jan 2009     

Khadooy
United Arab Emirates

Hi Helen,

Thanks for your arguments...for me it is much easier to use Office 2007 as the most used features are available for me...I don�t use a lot of features as I am not a technetian... and as I said when I use Office 2007, i have more flixibilities with images and size... more images but less size which is unlike 2003.... But as you said... many people still use Office 2003, so it is a bit hard to use the newer one...

Thanks for raising the point
Khadooy

PS. Khadooy is she not he Big smile

29 Jan 2009     

crisholm
Spain

I agree. To share things, we should think of the tools we all can use - otherwise we might come up with flashy things no one can use.

29 Jan 2009