Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > just curious...    

just curious...

olaola
Italy

just curious...

when I teach " asking and giving directions" my students say that they don �t need this topic because if they are abroad they can use "google maps" for directions...
I answer them sayings that they can �t always rely on technology for different reasons and that you need " human touch" when visiting a foreign country... but they don �t seem very convinced...
what would you say? has this ever happened to you?
....Just curious....
Olaola

1 Sep 2013      

SaraMariam
United States

happened to me that I wanted to use google maps for directions in a foreign country and suddenly couldnt access to internet with my phone standing there at an intersection with 10 streets or so .. sooo, I was pretty happy to speak the language ;)
But no, it never happened to me that the kids told me they don �t need such things. I think, they know that it is useful, just trying to be smart to get around learning :p

1 Sep 2013     

mari_18cf
Brazil

Imagine that you arrived at the specific spot and they changed location and your connection is lost?!

Someone tells you about a nice place nearby and you want to go, it �s sometimes easier to get people �s directions than using google all the time.

1 Sep 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

tell them to think of the times when the battery is low or there �s no connection:) illustrated with some scary abstract from a movie:)
Sophia

1 Sep 2013     

Doot
Canada

I don �t think I use trigonometry or alegebra on a daily basis and yet we still had to learn it. I just tell them its in the curriulum and I am required to teach it - end of story!

1 Sep 2013     

L_I_S_I
Austria

You could also tell them that Goggle Maps often is not reliable. There are many countries where google maps is not accurate (e.g. Vietnam, Morocco, Peru,...).

Or you could tell them that asking for directions is a good way to start a conversation with a cute guy/ girl ;-)

1 Sep 2013     

manonski (f)
Canada

Type "getting lost with a gps" on google and you will find many reasons why you need to use mapping skills once in a while.
This is only an example:
http://news.discovery.com/autos/gps-navigation-lost-trust-110517.htm 

1 Sep 2013