Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > what..from    

what..from

steph30
France

what..from

I�m preparing a lesson plan about global warming and in a book, there is one sentence which sounds a bit weird to me:
say what each of these greenhouse gases come from.
what do you think?
thanks
xx stef

29 Jan 2009      

labellevie
France

yes, that sounds very odd... I think it should be

�say where each of these greenhouse gases come from�, but even that is a little odd, as the point is to identify how the gases are generated.

I would put it

- � explain how each of these greenhouse gases are produced� if it is about the actual process of generation, or

- �give the source of each greenhouse gas� if it is about the source (e.g. traffic pollution, coal burning etc.)

Hope this helps

Jonquil

29 Jan 2009     

steph30
France

thanks, it�s also what I thought, I found it in "impact terminales" ...

29 Jan 2009     

labellevie
France

I often find mistakes in the text books for the BAC... I still find references to �keen on�, �fond of� and �I practice football�, which I don�t think any anglophones use anymore (except maybe my grandmother!).

Glad it helped,

JQ

29 Jan 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

Hi, stefsim59
France

I think the only problem in this sentence is the missing  "s".
The sentence should be:

Say what each of these greenhouse gases comes from.

If you are pointing the use of �what�, I am sure it is correct because the greenhouse gases do not move and come from some place but they are the results of some action and scientifically speaking of the interaction/reaction of some other matter. Thus the use of "what" instead of "where"

30 Jan 2009