Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > The state of verbs in First Personal Pronoun ´I ´    

The state of verbs in First Personal Pronoun ´I ´

Mtani
Tanzania

The state of verbs in First Personal Pronoun ´I ´

From the semantic point of view, why main verbs, when are used with first personal pronoun singular ´I ´ in simple present, remain in their base forms as with other plural personal pronouns?

11 Sep 2013      

Yolandaprieto
Spain

There is not a reason, it ´s just like that. It probably has to do with the way the language has evolved but only linguists know that.
Yolanda

11 Sep 2013     

douglas
United States

The same goes for "you" as a 2nd person singular personal pronoun--the question is why the third person singular doesn ´t follow the rule.

11 Sep 2013     

yanogator
United States

In Elizabethan times, both the second and third persons had endings on them in the singular (I speak, thou speakest, he speaketh). Over the centuries, the second person lost its ending, and the third-person ending was simplified to "s". As Yolanda said, languages just change.

Bruce

11 Sep 2013     

Mtani
Tanzania

I have a thinking that English pronouns have a sense of gender; masculine, feminine and neuter. Gender is an element of grammar like other elements such as number and case. So, for third personal pronoun singular; He/She/it have a clear gender and number. What the verb does in the subject-verb agreement is to check and balance these grammatical elements (number and gender). That is to say if the verb fails to identify any of the two elements, especially in the simple present form, it remains silent in its base form like it does with other plural personal pronouns which again they do not have the sense of Gender. For example; He/She/It are masculine, feminine and neuter respectively. But, You, we, they, and I do not fall in any of the three gender classes. So, when the verb checks the gender of ´I ´ it fails to identify exactly as it does with the You, we, and they. What do you think about this case?

11 Sep 2013     

Peter Hardy
Australia

My dear Mtani, knowing where it all comes from won ´t help your students much. The old rules are just that: old. As most languages English has evolved and we use different rules (grammar) now. If you ´re really interested in old languages, you could start studying Latin. It ´s a dead language, though, and it didn ´t help me much in learning English, but it has all the stuff you ´re interested in. German is a good choice, too, for the same reason. Otherwise, go with the flow and learn the rules as they are now. Unless you want to be a scholar, but I suppose you may need a different website. Good luck with your research. Cheers.

12 Sep 2013     

yanogator
United States

Mtani,
To answer your direct question, in English, the verb is not associated with gender, just with person and number.

Bruce

12 Sep 2013