Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > first or welcome class    

first or welcome class

mcris
Brazil

first or welcome class

Hi friends,
My classes start next week but I have no idea about what to to in my first class....to make them feel confortable and welcome...
help me please!!!

30 Jan 2009      

ivush
Czech Republic

Hello,

lokk at http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=167089#thetop , thats what I usually do and it is always a great fun :)

Bye
Ivush

30 Jan 2009     

MissMelissa12
Peru

I�s important to be awared of their age, country they live, background...etc. So we provide you with a better answer.

Miss Melissa. Hug

30 Jan 2009     

mcris
Brazil

Sorry Melissa your are right...They are from 7 to 12 years old

30 Jan 2009     

puspita
Indonesia

They�re children, so they probably like to move a lot.  Hope these activities can help you:

Hi-5 game (got it from New English Parade website)
-Suitable for first-time learners, so they don�t know their friends yet. 
-Basically, 2-by-2, students high five each other while asking and answering personal info questions: �What�s your name?�, �Where do you live?�, etc.
-Model first, give them 2-3 minutes per pair.
-They have to change partner every time you shout �change�. 
-Let them play for a while, at the end of the game find out who can have the most information, share it with class.

Spot the lie.
-For students returning to class, so they already know each other.
-Give each student a piece of paper and ask them to fold it twice, so they have 4 spaces.
-Tell them to write their own name first, then write 3 truths and 1 lie about themselves in those spaces.  No particular order, they can put the lie in any of the 4s. Truths/lies should not be something so obvious: �I�m a girl� (for boys) or �I�m a student� (everyone is).  They could write about their fave holidays, aspiration, habit, experience, etc.
-Post the paper along the classroom walls.
-Tell students they have to move along the walls to write their initials to each paper at the �lie� space. Encourage them to guess. They may change their choice, but they have to erase/cross their previous answer. They can�t discuss their choice with other people, or ask any question.
-When everyone is done, distribute the paper back to students: it�s time to come clean.
-See how many people are �good liars�, �angels�, and who can spot the most lies. Discuss.

30 Jan 2009     

wiostahi
Peru

HI :P
Laughing makes everybody feel comfortable and happy so why noy making them laugh as well?
I used to do the following:

*Give each student a piece of paper (a small one) and ask them to fold it in two parts.
 *ask them if they have got a pet (here you can ask whatever you want, for example,    favourite fruit, food, colour, etc) but make sure everyone has an answer.
 *then in the top part they have to write their pet�s name (or whatever you chose, animals, colours, food, fruit...) and below their names.

*so the laughing part starts.....they have to introduce themselves by saying.....I am (the pet name) and their name:

for example: (my pet�s name is "chispita")....... My name is "chispita" Osmar :P

children love listening to their classmate funny pet�s names so it is a funny way to break the ice...and to know them better. (make sure to start this part with your example :P)

30 Jan 2009