Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > What to do when students think their grades are unfair?    

What to do when students think their grades are unfair?

carinita
Argentina

Thanks, Terri

15 Sep 2013     

MoodyMoody
United States

I am in the fortunate position of not having to give grades at all, but I did have to give grades in the past. First, as manonski already pointed out, let the students know what your expectations are. For example, you might assign 20% for class participation (answering questions, speaking in English, asking relevant questions, with points deducted for daydreaming, texting, or conversing in Spanish), 20% for homework and written classwork, 20% for special English projects, 20% for quizzes, 10% for the midterm test, and 10% for the final exam. Give the syllabus to them in writing, If you need to, have the student and possibly a parent or guardian sign it.

Second, make sure the students know what the consequences of misbehavior are. Be consistent and follow through. Most importantly, be fair. Don �t always pick on the smug jerks who challenge your authority. Just make sure they challenge your authority in English.

Third, be kind to yourself as so many others have already said. It sounds like you are suffering from burnout, which is not uncommon in teachers. Try not to beat yourself up for feeling bad about it (said the pot to the kettle Confused). You might even be depressed if you don �t enjoy non-teaching activities anymore. If that �s the case, talk to your doctor or think about counseling.

Think about talking with other teachers at your school, too. Ask them what has worked for them. You might gain some insight into some of your problems. At the very least, they will know what you �re going through.

Finally, you might also think about teaching a different age group. Maybe you could teach Business English to adults instead. I respectfully disagree with assam 35. Your years of teaching have not been wasted if you ultimately decide on another career. Any company that does business with English-speaking countries would find your bilingualism a real asset. Make a change if you really need to. You might go back to teaching someday even if you need some time away now.

15 Sep 2013     

Peter Hardy
Australia

Enough said about grading above. Some pretty good advice, too. As for dealing with troublemakers, one can do only so much. As a last resort you can follow Buddha �s advice: 1) Accept your situation. 2) If you can �t accept it, change what you can (yourself) and 3) if this doesn �t help, remove your self from the situation. After all, life is too short to be miserable. I quit my high school position after a student wielded a knife at me. I �ve never felt better, and the Universe provided me with a very rewarding position. So take heart. Whatever happens, happens for a reason. Just be a good teacher and learn from it :-)

16 Sep 2013     

< Previous   1    2