Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Grammar Question Help!!!!!! point to point at....    

Grammar Question Help!!!!!! point to point at....

campbelldavidson
Japan

Grammar Question Help!!!!!! point to point at....

Hi everyone

I was asked a question that completely stumped me today even though I am a native speaker. The question was "what is the differnece between "point to" and "point at""

Its a hard one

C

30 Jan 2009      

Pinky Makus
Canada

I don�t know.  "At" almost sounds like the object is further away, much like when you use the  words this and that

30 Jan 2009     

campbelldavidson
Japan

Thanx very much for the reply,

yeah i thought about that but then i thought of the situation when people say "stop pointing at me" or "stop pointing that gun at me".... And we can say "he is pointing to the moon".....

This question is killing me!!!!

C

30 Jan 2009     

Pinky Makus
Canada

When someone is pointing at you they are usually standing a fair distance away from you at least that is how I picture it in my head.  Hmm.  Such an interesting topic...

If someone is pointing to the moon, that could be in a book or on a worksheet.  But pointing at the real moon...that is definitely further away.  :)

30 Jan 2009     

tlbojko
United States

I don�t think it has much to do with distance at all.  In my opinion, pointing at someone is a more negative term.  Pointing a gun at someone, pointing a finger at someone, shaking your head at someone.  On the other hand, pointing to someone or something is more of a neutral term.  I point to the item in the grocery store that I want to buy or I point to the student when I call on him or her in class.  Make sense?

30 Jan 2009     

Pinky Makus
Canada

I am trying to Google this with no success.  But there are many grammar websites and blogs where you can ask this question.  Good Luck.  I hope you find your answer.

30 Jan 2009     

campbelldavidson
Japan

thanx for the replies....

tlbojko, that was one of the first things that came to my mind too... And that was the answer I told my japanese colleague....

Also i know "point to" does not necessarily have to be an object but can be used metaphorically eg "this graph points to increased growth...."

Im really impressed with the speed of replies... thank you so much!!!!!

C

30 Jan 2009     

edapoe
Japan

1) Point at the North Pole.

2) Point to the North Pole.

I can�t see anything positive or negative in either of these statements. I thought about it and asked a colleague, but he thought the opposite of what I thought when I looked at the above sentences.

He seemed to think �point to� was a broader, less defined object or target. I don�t get that when I look at the above.

30 Jan 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Let�s see, there are probably a few things to be considered when looking at the differences...

�at� is usually used in reference to position. e.g �at the moon� means the moon in its position in the heavens.

�to� is usually used in reference to movement or direction. e.g. �to the moon� means the direction of the moon, from your starting position along a line to the moon.

�fly me to the moon� is decidedly different to �fly me at the moon�. The first one indicates a path of flight where the second phrase indicates the intended destination.

The next thing to look at might well be �purpose�:
if we mention the purpose of a movement before we mention the destination then �at� or �in� is usually used. e.g. �Let�s go to the movies/cinema/flicks� vs �let�s go see the latest James Bond film at the movies�.

(many thanks to Swan�s �Practical English Usage, 3rd edition for this one!)

Now the 3rd aspect that comes to mind (again, Swan helps clarify this a lot!)...

Target!
When you �point/shoot/shout (& many others) at� something/one, the something/one is the target of a perception or communication (usually non-verbal. It could be argued that the tone & body language are communicated more than words when you �shout at� someone/thing).
Often this use of �at� is an indicator of aggressive behaviour or attacks.

Cheers,
ab

30 Jan 2009     

Greek Professor
Greece

GOOD MORNING COLLEGUES...

WELL I TOO HAVE AN ANSWER TO POINT TO / POINT AT

POINT AT: a person or thing, you hold out your finger towards them in order to make someone notice them.
I pointed at the boy sitting nearest me

POINT TO: if sth point to a particular situation, it suggest that the situation exists or is likely to occur.{indicate} / or... point to sth that has happened or that is happening you are using it as proff that a particular situation exists [call attention]

Earlier reports pointed to pipils working harder, more continuously and with enthusiasm...

Bobby last night pointed to their bowling as the key to world cup succes...

Greek Prosessor

30 Jan 2009     

douglas
United States

Just a feeling:  pointing "to" tends to indicate movement or direction, pointing "at" seems more stationary.  If I am going somewhere, I point "to" the place I want to go.  If I am stationary and directing someone�s attention to something, I point "at" the building or event.

Just a feeling, like I said,

Douglas 

30 Jan 2009     

1    2    Next >