Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Grammar Question Help!!!!!! point to point at....    

Grammar Question Help!!!!!! point to point at....

goodnesses
Algeria

Good morning all
Try to consider this.

--------------------Cambridge Advanced Learner�s Dictionary
point (SHOW) /p??nt/
verb
1 [I] to direct other people�s attention to something by holding out your finger towards it:
"Look at that!" she said, pointing at the hole in the door.
Small children are often told that it�s rude to point.

2 [T] to hold something out in the direction of someone or something:
He said that the man had pointed a knife at him.

3 [I] If something points in a particular direction, it is turned towards that direction:
The road sign points left.
All the cars were pointing in the same direction.
There was an arrow pointing to the door.

--------------------Oxford Advanced Learner�s Dictionary
verb
SHOW WITH FINGER
1 [no passive] ~ (at / to / towards sb/sth) to stretch out your finger or sth held in your hand towards sb/sth in order to show sb where a person or thing is: [v] �That�s my mother,� she said, pointing at a photo on the wall. It�s rude to point! He pointed to the spot where the house used to stand. �What�s your name?� he asked, pointing at the child with his pen. She pointed in my direction. [vn] She pointed her finger in my direction.

AIM
2 [vn] ~ sth (at sb/sth) to aim sth at sb/sth: He pointed the gun at her head. A hundred camera lenses were being pointed at her.

FACE DIRECTION
3 [v + adv. / prep.] to face in or be directed towards a particular direction: The telescope was pointing in the wrong direction. The signpost pointed straight ahead. A compass needle points north.

LEAD TO
4 [+adv. / prep.] to lead to or suggest a particular development or logical argument: [v] The evidence seems to point in that direction. [vn] The fans are looking to the new players to point the way to victory.

SHOW THE WAY
5 [vn + adv. / prep.] to show sb which way to go: I wonder if you could point me in the right direction for the bus station. A series of yellow arrows pointed the way to reception.

WALL
6 [vn] to put mortar between the bricks of a wall: The house needs pointing before winter.

point a / the finger (at sb) to accuse sb of doing sth: The article points an accusing finger at the authorities.
point sb/sthout (to sb) to stretch your finger out towards sb/sth in order to show sb which person or thing you are referring to: I�ll point him out to you next time he comes in. The guide pointed out various historic monuments.
point out (to sb)|
point sthout (to sb) to mention sth in order to give sb information about it or make them notice it: She tried in vain to point out to him the unfairness of his actions. He pointed out the dangers of driving alone. [+ that] I should point out that not one of these paintings is original. [+ speech] �It�s not very far,� she pointed out.
point to sth
1 to mention sth that you think is important and/or the reason why a particular situation exists: The board of directors pointed to falling productivity to justify their decision. Pointing to the results of a recent survey, he claimed voters were most interested in education and unemployment.
2 to suggest that sth is true or likely: All the signs point to a successful year ahead. The evidence before us points clearly to his innocence.
point sthup (formal) to emphasize sth so that it becomes more noticeable highlight: The conference merely pointed up divisions in the party.

--------------------MacMillan English Dictionary -American
point
point2 / p??nt / verb ***
? 1 show with finger etc.
? 2 show with sign/symbol
? 3 aim object at someone/something
? 4 show someone what to do
? 5 stretch toes
? 6 repair wall
? + PHRASES
1 [intransitive or transitive] to show something by holding out your finger or a long thin object:
Don�t point. They�ll know we�re looking at them.
He pointed his stick in the direction of the bird.
point at: She pointed at the ice cream that she wanted.
point to: He pointed to the dog as it ran toward them.
2 [intransitive] to show a particular direction or place, usually using a sign or symbol:
The arrow pointed left toward the exit door.
Is the little hand on the clock pointing to 3 or 4?
3 [transitive] to aim an object at someone or something:
All you have to do is point the camera and shoot.
point something at/toward someone/something: He pointed his rifle at the deer and pulled the trigger.
4 [intransitive or transitive] to show someone the direction in which they should go:
Could you point me in the direction of the lobby?
4a. to show someone what they should do:
The results of the study will point toward areas for further research.
a great thinker who was pointing the way to the future
5 [intransitive or transitive] to stretch your toes as if you were trying to make them form a straight line with your leg
6 [transitive] to repair a wall by putting new CEMENT or MORTAR between the stones or bricks
point the/a finger (at someone)
to accuse someone or suggest that they are guilty of something bad
,point `out phrasal verb [transitive]
1 to show someone who a person is or where something is:
He pointed out the best beaches on the map.
2 to tell someone something:
Thank you for pointing that out.
point out that: He pointed out that we had two hours of free time before dinner.
`point to phrasal verb [transitive]
to show the truth or importance of something:
The evidence clearly points to her guilt.
,point `up phrasal verb [transitive] FORMAL
to emphasize something:
Her research points up the difficulty of finding a solution.

30 Jan 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Really helpful examples there goodnesses!

You should find that all the examples come under the 3 general considerations I gave in my post - reference to position, direction or movement; purpose;  & target.

They are some really good & thorough examples!

Cheers,
ab

30 Jan 2009     

Jayho
Australia

Intriguing ...

At the end of the day both are acceptable in many scenarios and native speakers will know what sounds right even though they may not be able to explain it.  As  a general rule of thumb I teach:

1] At as a preposition of location, thinking of a space as a point (Do you know where the moon is - can you point at the moon?�)

and

2] To as a preposition of direction, movement in the direction of something [Show me where the space ship is going - can you point to the moon ?�)

Now, what about all those stories we were told when we were kids about the man in the moon ... or is it the man at the moon ...

1 Feb 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

Hi,
Jayho
Netherlands

What about "the man on the moon"?

1 Feb 2009     

Jayho
Australia

Growing up in Australia we could see a man in the moon, or rather , the face of one.  if anything mysterious happened we, or our parents, would blame it on the man in the moon.  As a child your mind is super-dooper creative and you can visualise just about anything you want to ... he could be what you made him, scary, friendly or whatever, but every night there he was, just looking down on us all, that man in the moon (not that man at the moon, or the man on the moon - it was the man in the moon)

P.S.  of course this face could only be seen in the Sothern Hemisphere so I don�t know if there is an equivalent legend for the northern hemisphere.

5 Feb 2009     

< Previous   1    2