Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Present Continuous or Present Perfect Continuous    

Present Continuous or Present Perfect Continuous

kawyte
Lithuania

Present Continuous or Present Perfect Continuous

Hello,

Having some doubts here.... Which is correct a or b? Or maybe both? 

a) Please be still! You have been complaining all day!  
b) Please be still! You are complaining all day!

The sentence clearly expresses irritation and I do know that present continuous + always/constantly is used to express irritation & annoyance, but is that part "+always/constantly" a must, and can I write present continuous in this sentence with "all day" (which, I believe, indicates the need to use perfect continuous). 

Thanks a lot for your help. :) and if you could recommend me any source of grammar concerning this, it would be great.

19 Sep 2013      

MoodyMoody
United States

A is correct. Despite the name, the present continuous usually refers to a fixed point in time. The present perfect continuous is used for actions that started in the past and are still going on now. It would be correct to say "Please be still! You are complaining again!" (i.e., now).

19 Sep 2013     

yanogator
United States

MoodyMoody is exactly right!

Bruce

19 Sep 2013     

monder78
Poland

Definitely a is correct as the � � troublemaker � �  started  to complain  some time ago and probably has  still been complaining

20 Sep 2013