Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > inmate or convict?    

inmate or convict?

binabo
Italy

inmate or convict?

Hi! Could you please tell me which is the difference between these 2 words? inmate and convict could be synonyms? thanks in advance for your help! S.B.

24 Sep 2013      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

The way I see it, they are inmates to each other and they �re convicts to all the rest of us:)

24 Sep 2013     

aliciapc
Uruguay

For me :  Convict - only in prison.  Inmate - prison, mental hospital, other institution

24 Sep 2013     

edrodmedina
United States

It �s a British English thing. It �s the answer a friend gives when asked: Are you going out or staying in? Inmate. Big smile Ed

24 Sep 2013     

yanogator
United States

Ed, go to your room!

Bruce

24 Sep 2013     

Jayho
Australia

Actually, Ed is right, I think.

In my neck of the woods we use the word inmate, usually a prison inmate.

Convict as a noun is not current usage. To us, a convict is a word used in history for the English prisoners that came out to the Australian penal colony in the early 1800s.

But, convict as a verb, is current.

24 Sep 2013     

douglas
United States

Technically, prisoner, imate and convict are all synonyms (prisoner can have a few other meanings though)

In the USA, it is quite common to hear "he �s an ex-con" ("con" being short for convict).

Here is an interesting take on the two terms ("inmate" is offensive to "convicts"):

25 Sep 2013     

binabo
Italy

Thanks a lot for your help! Have a nice day!

25 Sep 2013