Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > I īm finished or I īve finished    

I īm finished or I īve finished

tanja442
Austria

I īm finished or I īve finished

Good morning,

I need your help.
Which one is correct: As soon as a pupil has finished his worksheet, does he say: I īm finished or I īve finished? How do you say in BE? Any other expression used in classroom???? Thanks for your help.

Tanja

3 Oct 2013      

Ladan22
Ukraine

I am ready.

3 Oct 2013     

tanja442
Austria

I thought " I am ready" is completely wrong as it means I am ready to do something..... I am prepared to do something.....

3 Oct 2013     

almaz
United Kingdom

Either is fine. Interestingly, I had to deal with this very issue just the other day when one misguided soul insisted that Iīm finished was non-standard (because "a teacher" had told her so). According to Merriam-Websterīs usage dictionary, however, itīs an "artificial standard" and the construction is perfectly acceptable in speech - and has been found in English literature since the 18th century. Apparently, some people think that when a personal subject is used with this construction, it can only mean "done for".

3 Oct 2013     

lesleymisano2
Italy

I would use I īve finished.   This is a correct īpresent perfect � construction.  (I  finished but I do not tell you when)

I am finished is a  BE + past participle construction : a passive voice construction.  
This is my state:  I am finished (by someone/something)  ergo  I īm done for.

However, languages are living things and everday usage brings changes which, with time, become acceptable.

3 Oct 2013     

almaz
United Kingdom

And, by the same token...

This is my state:  I am finished (with something)  ergo  I have finished it.

But itīs nice to know that you believe that "everday usage brings changes which, with time, become acceptable". Reminds me of Thomas Carlyleīs response to Margaret Fullerīs statement that she accepted the universe: "Gad! Sheīd better!" Itīs the only reasonable option Wink

3 Oct 2013