Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > INTRODUCING PAST PERFECT    

INTRODUCING PAST PERFECT

AJFC
Portugal

INTRODUCING PAST PERFECT

Hello, there! I �m having my student teacher year at the moment and I �m working on a lesson about Past Perfect! Does anyone know a nice way to introduce it within a Unit related to healthy lifestyle? Thanks in advance, AJFC

7 Nov 2013      

abumohamed
Tunisia

Get your pupils to tell you about the different activities they had done before they went to sleep last night . You will get answers like: I had brushed my teeth / I had read a story / I had had a shower / I had watched a movie ......... before I want to sleep last night.
Write their answers on the board then get them to infer the use/meaning of the past perfect   (I personally like to call this tense " the past of the past" ) and its form. After this presentation phase let you pupils have some controlled practice ( a word building task for example) and some free practice (writing a short narrative text using the past perfect). 
I hope the tips above will help.

7 Nov 2013     

EstherLee76
Peru

I find this powerpoint to be extremely helpful.

7 Nov 2013     

helena2009
Hungary

Dear AJFC,

1. When you teach past perfect and simple past and you write the examples  on the board use different colours for the different tenses.

E.g.

After the family had had breakfast, they went to the zoo.

2. Write a story on pieces of paper, cut the sentences, give the sentences to the students and ask them to put the story together.

3. Find sentences which are connected to past perfect and healthy lifestyle.

E.g. He had been healthy until he started overeating. (it can be connected to a photo of a fat man)

After I had gone shopping, I stopped at the health spa.

4. Check it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikznrVaKkI4

Good luck

H.

7 Nov 2013     

shailam1967
India

Hi,

I often tell my students an anecdote where I use both tenses and put the verbs down on a timeline as I go along using two different colours for the two different tenses. Then I write down a couple of complete sentences above these verbs and draw arrows on my timeline to show how the past tense is linear whereas the Past perfect is like a flashback going further back in time. I don �t explicitly state any rules at this point. I ask quest ions like " did I do this before or after that". Then Students make their own time line of verbs next and talk to each other. Monitor. Choose 1 interesting story and put the timeline up on the board- Ask questions and draw arrows on the time line to indicate the tense as you write the sentences the students make on the board. Long winded :-) but works well.

Cheers!

8 Nov 2013