Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > the meaning of "would"     

the meaning of "would"

Lovely Lana
Greece

the meaning of "would"

Hi everyone,

1. In the sentence: Sheila will never forgive me if I miss the party, and she would be right what function does "would" have?
It �s not "used to", not future in the past, not conditional, why do we use it here then?

2.   What´s the meaning of "for the price of a cup of tea you can save a child´s life"?

Thanks in advance

7 Nov 2013      

EstherLee76
Peru

In the first one, "would" is conditional -- you �re talking about an unreal situation (If I miss the party).  It �s a mix and match because the first part is first conditional (will / present tense) and then goes to second conditional (would be).

I can �t help you with number two.

7 Nov 2013     

Lovely Lana
Greece

Thanks a lot for your reply, Esther, why then can �t I say she will be right? Since the first sentence is in the first conditional...

7 Nov 2013     

Luisella
Italy

Hi lovely Lana,
I think that the sentence in question 2 could be used as a catchphrase for a charity program, when they invite you to donate a small amount of money to support their program. I remember something like that was used by UNICEF: they invited people to donate 20/30 � a month which is more or less what you pay for a daily newspaper. The amount of your donation could be used to help starving children.

7 Nov 2013     

EstherLee76
Peru

You can say "She will be right".  It just means something different.  That means that you are going to miss the party and that she is right not to forgive you -- it �s no longer an unreal situation.  If you say "She would be right" it means you are not going to miss the party; you �re just imagining what would happen if you did.  (Hope I �m not confusing you more!)

7 Nov 2013     

yanogator
United States

Esther is explaining it well. It �s really just an informal mixture of the two conditionals. The way it would be said in formal writing is entirely second conditional:
Sheila would never forgive me if I missed the party, and she would be right. The way it �s worded is just trying to make it sound more solid, while still being unreal. Grammatically, it is very awkward, but it expresses the idea well.

Bruce

7 Nov 2013     

Lovely Lana
Greece

Thanks a lot, my dear friends!
 yes, it �s absolutely clear to me now, Esther and BruceThumbs UpBig smile
Thank you, Luisella, for your answer and the example with UNICEFThumbs UpBig smile

8 Nov 2013