Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Use to or used to    

Use to or used to

American Teacher
United States

Use to or used to

HELP! I am so confused when to use "use to" or "used to" can someone please explain the difference in basic terms..

10 Nov 2013      

Apodo
Australia

Look here: http://www.5minuteenglish.com/mar20.htm

10 Nov 2013     

American Teacher
United States

Thanks!

10 Nov 2013     

douglas
United States

"use to" - it has become a habit (I �m accustomed to it)

"used to" - I don �t do it anymore

11 Nov 2013     

margo lanius
Italy

You can use" used to" with state verbs for example I used to have a dog. I didn �t use to be a very a friendly person.

11 Nov 2013     

almaz
United Kingdom

Apodo �s link is more or less on the button: you can take the transitive sense of the verb �use � which only exists in the passive phrase �be used to (something) �, or its intransitive sense of "be accustomed to do (something)" which is now only found in the form �used to � - as in "he used to feed the ducks every day".

If you �re simply confused about whether to use �use to � or �used to � in a declarative statement like "he used to feed the ducks every day", then just remember that �use to � (without the �d �) is an error. 

We �ve been here before, haven �t we? (if you �re still not satisfied, perhaps you could tell us exactly what you find confusing):

Long story short: don �t use �use to � when you mean �used to �.

11 Nov 2013     

douglas
United States

>>Alex:  don�t use �use to � when you mean �used to �.  LOL

11 Nov 2013     

yanogator
United States

Alex, except in the negative, as you pointed out in your response to the earlier post.

He didn �t use to like her.

Bruce

11 Nov 2013     

yanogator
United States

Margo,
You can use it with action verbs, too. I used to teach English.

Bruce

11 Nov 2013     

Tere-arg
Argentina

A bit late, perhaps?  Sorry for that...but "used to" occurs only in the past since it refers to a past habit (no longer in practice).

You  say:
He used to play rugby. (= he no longer does)
Did he use to play at school?

If you want to express habit in the present you should use simple present + a frequency adverb
He usually plays rugby...

Use to should not be used in this sense.

12 Nov 2013