Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > Mazes are useful...who says you can ´t learn english with them?    

Mazes are useful...who says you can ´t learn english with them?

nandoas
Spain

Mazes are useful...who says you can ´t learn english with them?

I think mazes can be used in class to work with directions. You can use a maze in a whiteboard to lead a character to the way out as an oral activity trying students to say direction orders such as: turn right, left, go back, forward....
There �s a rule in eslprintables saying children don �t learn english with them, and although I respect rules, I think they can learn english with mazes.
What do u think? Thank U Maria for your advice!

11 Nov 2013      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

They can learn English (or any other language)  with any visual - maze, picture, graph, photo, two pictures juxtaposed, etc etc etc... And you can find hundreds of them on the internet.
However on here, we expect something to be added to these - cloze/sequence/true or false exercises/follow the instructions/ unscramble the words and so on. Something specifically to teach English. With your mazes, you could equally well teach French, Spanish, Chinese or Esperanto (God forbid). 
So, respect the rules! This is eslprintables: what do you think the �e � stands for?

11 Nov 2013     

debbie6
Canada

Mazes are a wonderful tool. They deal with the "math" side of your brain. Learning English is difficult... you must exercise both sides of the brain or it just doesn �t work.

12 Nov 2013     

MoodyMoody
United States

So include directions or questions about directions for the mazes in English with the mazes. Mazes are not forbidden, but all worksheets/presentations/online exercises/smartboard exercises must contain something to do that requires the use of English. A maze by itself doesn �t teach English, or any other language. I �m trying to make the same point Lynne does from a slightly different direction.

I �ve actually never seen one, but a "letter maze," where the correct path makes a sentence or a quotation and false paths do not sounds like a good idea for an English exercise. Now I suppose I have to try and make one as an example. (It sounds like a lot of work, and I �m feeling lazy!)

12 Nov 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I �ll watch out for it, MoodyMoody! Looking forward.Big smile

13 Nov 2013     

nandoas
Spain

I �ve never said I didn �t respect rules. I accept them...the same way I beg people respect my point of view although they disagree about my comments.
It was not my purpose to hurt anybody with my post...anyway I �m sorry if anyone felt bad with it and I apologize.
Have a good day.

13 Nov 2013