Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Question tags    

Question tags

Katiapulko
Ukraine

Question tags

Hello, everybody. Recently I �ve come across the sentence requiring the proper question tag, but I �m not sure which one should be used there. So, please help. Here �s the sentence:

That �s the new manager, .....? - Yes, that �s him.

Should we say "isn �t it" or "isn �t he"?

Thanks a lot in advance.

27 Nov 2013      

Ahmed B
Tunisia

we say "isn �t he?" because "that" is just a demonstrative pronoun that introduces the manager.  Good luck!

27 Nov 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

He �s the new manager, isn �t he?

That �s the new manager, isn �t it?

27 Nov 2013     

MoodyMoody
United States

Technically, Lynne is correct, but many people will use the pronouns he or she to refer to people. It �s okay to use "isn �t he" or "isn �t she" in this context, at least here in the States.

27 Nov 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

I agree with Lynne - isn �t it? is the correct tag.

P.S. Hi Katia, long time no seeWink

27 Nov 2013     

Katiapulko
Ukraine

Thank you, all. Personally I thought that both options could be used. But those are tests and only one option is possible. So, delving into every detail I think I should set my choice on isn �t it.

P.S. Hi, Sophia. I �m glad you �ve responded. It �s been ages since we talkedUnhappy

27 Nov 2013     

Jayho
Australia

That �s interesting MM - that is not used where I am.

We go with what Lynne said.

Cheers

Jayho

27 Nov 2013     

SassieJassie
United States

Or you can change the sentence to make it less confusing.

Isn �t he the new manager?

28 Nov 2013     

Katiapulko
Ukraine

By the way, today the official answers from the Ministry of Education have come and they give isn �t he as the correct option. But still, I think both are correct.
The same as in the sentence I believe phones can/will change the way we live. both could be used, am I right? In the answers will is marked asthe  correct variant.

28 Nov 2013