Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Prepositions in relative clause    

Prepositions in relative clause

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hey, most of the time, you guys know the rules when we, native speakers, haven �t a clue. We just know �it sounds right. � 

6 Dec 2013     

Jayho
Australia

In my neck of the woods no-one uses whom except in reference/introduction letters that begin with "To whom it may concern" and even those are becoming a rarity these days.

Most people nowadays wouldn�t even know when/when not to use whom.  Even Swan in his Practical English usage states that whom is unusual in informal modern English

So, your answer depends on whether you require gramatical correctness for a test or suchlike, or what ns�s use for everyday conversation/writing.

The rule of thumb is that whom always follows a preposition, but I had to look that up as I couldn�t remember the rule because we don�t teach it and haven�t for some time now.

Cheers

Jayho

6 Dec 2013     

< Previous   1    2