Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Help, please    

Help, please

vikkwoo
Russian Federation

Help, please

William and Philippa were students. Some people, it is said, fall in love at first sight, but that was not what happened to them. They hated each other from the moment they met. This mutual hatred began at the first tutorial of their freshman term. Both had A23 ______ with major scholarships to read English language and literature. Each had been reliably assured by their schoolteachers that they would be the star pupil of their year. Few students had such prospects.

1) achieved 2) arrived 3) reached 4) completed

I can �t decide what to choose. I �d be extremely grateful for the explanation.

20 Dec 2013      

misternoze
France

completed

21 Dec 2013     

MarionG
Netherlands

(assuming A23 is just the number of the exercise, and therefore ignoring it)

Both had arrived with major scholarships.

It is the first term of their freshman year, so they haven �t �completed (finished �) anything yet. They �arrived � (came to) to the university with good scholarships and therefore with the a feeling they should be performing well.
Seems to make the most sense.

21 Dec 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Agree with Marion arrived. The key is �with � - only arrived fits there, in my opinion. 

21 Dec 2013     

MarionG
Netherlands

Maybe this makes sense:

completed would fit if it said: Both had finished /completed high school with.............
Since high school isn �t mentioned, I would stick with �arrived

21 Dec 2013     

vikkwoo
Russian Federation

Great thanks! I also thought arrive to be more suitable but was not sure.Smile

21 Dec 2013