Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > My contribution has been wrongly reported again.    

My contribution has been wrongly reported again.

alphanumeric
South Africa

My contribution has been wrongly reported again.

Once again my latest contribution to the site has been wrongly reported as contravening the rules.

This is extremely irritating. My contribution, when taken as a set "includes a reading exercise" in the form of an 18-page Christmas story. It IS an ESL resource. It doesn �t contravene the rules. Did you even properly look at it before clicking REPORT? I doubt it. (All 18 pages aren �t up yet because I can only send 3 parts a day - site restrictions.)

So, would the person who reported my contribution please either post and explain why you did so, or send me a message to explain why. If you don �t, I �m considering removing all my contributions to the site because I �m really getting tired of anonymous do-gooders getting it wrong so often without any consequences on their part.

It �s all very well to anonymously report something as breaking the rules, but once again you are wrong, just like the time before. I �d really like to hear from you (the person who did it). Explain yourself. Can you do that for me?

Not holding my breath.

25 Dec 2013      

s.lefevre
Brazil

I reported your worksheet and I think it is against the rules as there is only one picture and one sentence on each page and no task. I think we have to upload a worksheet that can be used and are not obliged to download 9 worksheets to complete 1 task. It is very easy to compact the pictures, so you can make one  complete worksheet. Other members have done it before. Just a picture is not enough in my opinion. If our collegues think otherwise, your worksheet will be there tomorrow.
By the way, the report is not anonymous, my avatar and my name appear.

25 Dec 2013     

alphanumeric
South Africa

Well, thank you for your reply. But no, your avatar did not appear anywhere. It was an automatically generated notification that I received. Therefore, it was in fact anonymous.

Also, if you look at the stated rules on the site, it does say that a submission is OK if it contains a reading activity. It is not OK if it �s just a picture.

Allow me to demonstrate that my submission definitely does contain a reading activity. Here is the complete story that would appear with the full 18 page set:

It was the night before Christmas...
The elves were very excited!
Santa was reading the last few letters.
The elves were cleaning the sleigh...
...and gathering up the reindeer.
Everyone shouted, "Hooray for Rudolph!"
The reindeer got ready to go.
Everyone was ready to go.
Santa and his reindeer set off into the night.
Santa had to work very hard delivering presents.
Luckily, people left milk and cookies for him.
Children around the world woke up to presents.
Santa came home after a long night...
...and got ready for bed.
Good night, Santa.
Good night, reindeer.
See you again next year.
(All with individually chosen coloring sheets.)

Would that be useable as an ESL resource for certain levels? Of course it would! For a class of 18 kids, that �s 1 individually selected coloring page that, when completed and placed together with all the others, would make their page part of an illustrated class Christmas story!

As for uploading in 9 parts, that was of course not ideal. Nor was it my choice. It was down to site document size restrictions. I do not want to compress it further until it becomes poor quality. Saying that "it �s easy and other people have done it" is a poor argument. It �s my prerogative, after all. I �m not forcing anybody to download it. It �s up to them. I didn �t do it in 9 parts to get more points. I have lots of points. I did it because I had already spent hours creating something that, let �s face it, I am now giving away for free, only to have it rejected by someone expressing their "opinion", as you put it.

And one final thing. Do not assume that I set out to make a document for ESLP, that I then use for teaching purposes. In fact, it is ALWAYS the other way around. I make something for school, then I share my work here because I think that someone out there will find it useful. It is after many hours of careful work that I share it here afterwards. When it is rejected in this way, it �s disappointing to say the least.

25 Dec 2013     

Jayho
Australia

You wrote: Also, if you look at the stated rules on the site, it does say that a submission is OK if it contains a reading activity. It is not OK if it �s just a picture

Actually, if you look at the page where you upload it shows this and to me this is what each of your uploads could be interpreted as.  Your pages have images, which do not appear to be your own images (and perhaps they are copyrighted) , with a small amount of writing. These in themselves do not appear to constitute a reading activity for the purpose of this site.

Edit: This picture below that you have used is copyrighted therefore you can not use it without permission

Elves And Santa Christmas Coloring Pages For Kids

25 Dec 2013     

alphanumeric
South Africa

OK. This is taking up too much time. You win. Removed. Thanks and good night.

(Well, they will all be removed as soon as I have access to them.)

25 Dec 2013     

Jayho
Australia

Well, I don�t think it�s about winning - it�s about following the rules of the site and respecting copyright. It�s also about respecting other members and I find your opening post  somewhat aggressive and disrespectful and not  in the spirit of the content you were trying to upload.

25 Dec 2013     

alphanumeric
South Africa

Look, when you put time and effort into making something for work that you then share here for others to use, or not use, as is their wish, then receive an anonymous notification that it has contravened rules, what else do you think it �s going to do. It �s going to irritate, and in my case, make me angry.

Remember, the original complaint was not about copyright infringement (something which, by the way, although it still doesn �t make it right, is rife on this site, and remains unreported) but basically about if it contained enough words to make it a reading activity.

On the submission rules page, there are two guidelines:

A no no, as it contains no real reading/text.

25 Dec 2013     

alphanumeric
South Africa

And this one:

OK because it contains a reading activity.

I think mine, when taken as a set, constitutes enough of a reading activity. Think of it this way: it falls somewhere between the NOT OK one, and the OK one above.

I think some of you out there would do well to remember that ESL (EFL actually) does not start and end with 6-12 year olds. It starts with many of us who teach kindergarten kids that are, in my case, 5-6 years old, and happened to love the activity I made for them. And yes, I practiced the reading with them, too.

In light of this, don �t you think it �s possible that my set was in fact something that could be regarded as an ESL resource (for young learners) about Christmas? I think so.

You �re right though. It �s not about winning or losing. I guess we all lose.

25 Dec 2013     

alphanumeric
South Africa

P.S. Regarding copyright infringement.

People who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

Title: Australian Animals (marsupials)
Author: JayHo
Page: 4

I �ll just leave this here: http://tomstackassociates.photoshelter.com/image/I0000a.juqBzFdbU

25 Dec 2013     

Jayho
Australia

My opinon is that you make it for yourself and if it you can share it here then do so.  If you can�t, then no loss. 
I totally agree with you on my WS.  Although your link doesn�t work for me (and my printable didn�t have a page 4), I see that I have not cited my sources like I usually do so out it goes. It�s not a problem for me. 

As far as the other issues are concerned, I recommend you now take it up with the owner of the website.

25 Dec 2013     

alphanumeric
South Africa

Well, it �s not a printable. It �s a PPT. And, it certainly does have a page 4. But that �s besides the point. I won �t be reporting your ws. Leave it up if you like. (It �s the picture of the koala and baby on page 4 I �m referring to, by the way.)

I just wanted to point out that few people are blameless when it comes to copyright infringement. And since you called me out on it, I did the same.

The link doesn �t work? Copy and pasting the URL does.

Other issues? None at all.

Last word? When reporting a submission, please take the time to really consider if the submission in question really and truly breaks any rules. Are you sure this cannot be used as an EFL/ESL resource by somebody, somewhere? Are you sure that it breaks the rules (which do have some grey areas)? Ask yourself, "Do I really need to click that? Or can I just leave it up to other downloaders on this site to decide if they would like to use it or not."

It wasn �t a coloring page, after all. But I �ve said that already. And now it �s all removed so there you go.

You said, share or not. It �s no loss. Actually it is a loss if everyone stops sharing the stuff they make. That �s the premise on which this site is built.

25 Dec 2013     

1    2    Next >