Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > I wonder, do ANY new members read the F.A.Q. info?    

I wonder, do ANY new members read the F.A.Q. info?

alien boy
Japan

I wonder, do ANY new members read the F.A.Q. info?

Judging by the regularity of certain questions and posts here I would lay a wager that:

1. very few of the new members read the membership rules;

2. probably even less read the F.A.Q�s;

3. even fewer members know how to search the forum; and

4. there may be a few more members who know how to find tutorials in the upload searcher (but only a few).

Still, I�m an optimist... and it is good to see people asking questions about things if they don�t know the answer! Wink

4 Feb 2009      

Mietz
Germany

Even less people seem to realise, that they should check their own printables under "my printables" and see, if their worksheets show correctly or not - and if not, that they can delete the faulty one and reupload it...
The empty worksheets really annoy me, too, because they cost so much space and time.
Yes, yes - I know, that patience is a virtue, that I really have to work on aquiring... Wacko

4 Feb 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Was that you need to acquire �patients�?

Do you have a radical behaviour therapy that may cure these ills?

LOL...... Ouch

4 Feb 2009     

jamiejules
France

hi, I am quite new to this site but I try my best... I understand that teachers who have been using this site for a while get frustrated with the new arrivals, please give us a chance.
I think the main problem is that some people upload stolen material to get points... do these get taken away from them when they are found out?
I did a few days download a worksheet I found useful only to find out at the end of the day that it was stolen: that got on my nerves!! So from now on I will wait until the evening before downloading and I will make sure I read the comments of the experienced teachers among you who do spot stolen stuff! thank you for this great community
By the way, would it be possible for people to leave productive comments for ws uploaded by new members (so that we improve in the future), I like getting a thank you but I would really appreciate advice as well.

4 Feb 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Welcome to the community jamiejules!

Please don�t think I was intending to be horrible to you & everyone else - that was certainly not my intent. It�s just that my sense of humour is often very questionable in its quality...

When a stolen download is reported Victor removes the offending upload & any points gained by the member are also deducted. (As an aside, even if you remove, which is different from update, your own worksheet you will lose whatever points you gained from it). Depending on the nature of the offense the users account may also be deleted. So I wouldn�t worry too much about when you download a worksheet - if someone else has spotted that it is stolen & can provide concrete details of where it�s from then they may well comment the worksheet, but not always.

Aaaah, the comments, THE COMMENTS!!!! Another ongoing discussion point.... I always feel a little like Sisyphus when discussions flare up about this....
Some members MAY leave constructive comments for you, but don�t hold your breath waiting for it. If you have some points available you should put �tutorial� into the upload search (at the top of the home page) & see what is available. Some of them are very good & will help ANYONE (including me) when it comes down to design related issues.

Again, welcome!

As I said initially -- please ask if you�re not sure about something. It�s better than not knowing.... but it is always worthwhile checking the resources that are already available first.

Cheers!

4 Feb 2009     

jamiejules
France

thank you alien boy, that was really helpful. 

4 Feb 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

I think that the reason why the FAQ�s are not read is because they are like those manuals that accompany your newly acquired gadget but you never bother to study them because you think it�s a waste of time, that it will be much faster if you ask someone who already knows how the thing works.
I don�t think that the behaviour will change, but it�s worth a try. The veterans should train the new recruits by giving them short shrift - just (politely) refer them to the FAQ�s instead of patiently replying to one and the same Qs over and over again.
I hope it�s radical enough, A.B. Cool
(to myself I�d better get down to studying the FAQ�s myself ... Embarrassed)

4 Feb 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Several of us do, fairly regularly.

I know that�s why the membership regulations aren�t read....

LOL

5 Feb 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

Oh yes, i know you do do it. I myself was given the �go-to-faq�s-treatment� by you when i commented on ... thank you notes, or sth. It was worth it. I�m cured. Wacko

As to the inefficiency of the radical method, make it more radical! Join your forces! Smile

5 Feb 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Now all I need is to find some electricians who can service a few homes... maybe set up some remote �Skinner box� computer rooms....

Do you have any contacts?

5 Feb 2009