Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > How to teach/learn irregular verbs    

How to teach/learn irregular verbs

anuska8
Spain

How to teach/learn irregular verbs

Hi everybody! One of my private tutoring learners is learning the terrible list of irregular verbs at the present. Considering that I �m a Primary teacher, I �ve found some difficulties teaching them �cause I haven �t found any useful tips to learn those verbs in a funny/good way. Do you know any idea about this problem? I remember I learnt them by heart, but I don �t know if it �s the best way to do it.
Thanks in advance! 
Have a nice day!

12 Jan 2014      

JuliaKaraban
Russian Federation

once I saw here a very good worksheet with irregular words, all the words were divided into groups to remember them better. Try to find it, search for : worksheet, irregular verbs.

12 Jan 2014     

anuska8
Spain

Thanks so much Julia. I �ve tried it cause it �s the only way I think they can be learnt better. On the other hand, it �s difficult due to the amount of verbs and groups. 

12 Jan 2014     

JuliaKaraban
Russian Federation

When I know it �s time to begin for my students to learn irregular verbs, we just read them for 4-5 lessons, it takes maximum 10 min at the beginning of the lesson. Then, we play with them. I ask to guess what verb becomes �gone � or �drew � and they need to name all 3 forms of the verbs( you know there are many such types of games). The winner has the right to say another verb. 
Then, we fill in missing verbs:
 write - __________- written; buy - bought - __________
and then, I ask them to learn them by heart. It takes a lot of my time to check everybody, but after that I can work with them further :)

12 Jan 2014     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov2v50af7bo

12 Jan 2014     

kissnetothedit
Hungary

Here is an idea, http://laborenglishzone.blogspot.hu/2010/12/irregular-verbs-horrible-list.html try this. Hope it helps.
Best wishes, Edit

12 Jan 2014     

FrauSue
France

Definitely learn the verbs by group. It �s much easier. Pupils can try to think of a story for each group of verbs to help associate them in their minds. So for example you might have a group of verbs which change to -ght in the past forms. Your story could be about a teacher who taught students, but one day she caught a student cheating with a spy camera he �d bought, then he fought her ... (etc.) Why not give each group of pupils a group of verbs, then they write their story and share it with the class?

I like playing dice games too as revision. Pick an infinitive from a hat, then roll the dice and make a sentence. 1: present tense positive or negative 2: Yesterday I ... (preterite) 3: Yesterday, I didn �t ... 4: I have never ... (present perfect) 5: Have you ever .... (present perfect) 6: free choice. 

17 Jan 2014