Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Game for If Clause Type 2    

Game for If Clause Type 2

ihtiyaryer
Turkey

Game for If Clause Type 2

I really appreciate those who give me any idea of a game to practise if clause type 2?

13 Jan 2014      

cukurova
Turkey

I prepared a powerpoint game about wish clauses.You can find it here if you are interested:
http://www.eslprintables.com/powerpoint.asp?id=69414#thetop

13 Jan 2014     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

have a look at the contributions here

13 Jan 2014     

aee.aee
Slovenia

GAME FOR CONDITIONAL CLAUSES TYPE 2 I put students in groups of 6, they sit in a circle or one behind the other. You need a piece of paper with a sentence (condition) and first student has to end the sentence and start the new sentence with his own condition. Let me explain with an example: (you give the first sentence) If I won a million dollars.... and the first student has to finish the sentence If I won a million dollars, I would travel round the world. Then he must start the second sentence with his condition: If I travelled round the world... After that the student folds the paper, so that his classmate can see only the beginning of the second sentence. The second student finishes the second sentence without knowing the first sentence. If I travelled round the world, I would meet a lot of people. If I met a lot of people... The second student folds the piece of paper and passes it on to the third student. If I met a lot of people, I would invite them all to my birthday party. If I invited them all to my birthday party,... and so on. At the end of class, the students unfold the paper and read the story that they have written during the class. These stories are usually very silly since each student sees only the last sentence. But it is a lot of fun! If you have a big class, the groups can compete against each other whose story is better. But be careful! Students mustn �t have difficulty forming the second conditional sentences. It is not the first exercise I use in class when we learn about conditional sentences. If they don �t have difficulty forming the sentences, they Will enjoy the activity. Have fun and all the best. Mattea

13 Jan 2014     

alexcure
Poland

Hi there,

my students� fav game: ask them each to write many conditional sentences on separate pieces of paper each, so that each clause can be cut off later on. Every sentence must be somehow connected to the class mates and the teacher: for example:

If Matthew didn �t go truant, he (Matthew) would have to write test on the 2nd Conditional.

If Joanne was silent, Tom would enjoy her company.

If Chris found his scarf, Greta wouldn �t be so cold now.

If Dorota were Matthew, she (Dorota) would go home. 

And as soon as each student finishes at least 2 sentences, they need to cut them in half, and put all the "if" clauses into the "if" bag, then the "would" clauses into the "would" bag. The teacher asks the students, one by one, to come closer to the board and draw at random two clauses from the bags and read the new sentence aloud. Most sentences, created in this way, are funny. Example of what it might be like:

If Dorota were Matthew,___________________Tom would enjoy her company. 

If Chris found his scarf...___________________ he (Matthew) would have to write test on the 2nd Conditional.

If Joanne was silent, ___________________ Greta wouldn �t be so cold now.

If Matthew didn �t go truant, ________________ she (Dorota) would go home. 

The student can repeat his choice (that is s/he can draw once again) if the sentence has no sense. Obviously, the teacher must instruct the students to be quite clear when they formulate the clauses, so that "his"/"her" must have a reference to a certain name.  

14 Jan 2014     

ihtiyaryer
Turkey

I have really enjoyed reading all these. Thanks a million for all these nice suggestions. I will make use of them :) 

14 Jan 2014     

[email protected]
Spain

I do something similar to what aee.aee said but with a  little ball. I write "If I had a lot of money I �d buy a big house" on the blackboard. I throw the ball to a student (usually a good student who understands how to play) and he/she has to start the sentence with the second part of the previous sentence but in conditional. Ex: If I bought a big house....and he/she continues  for example ...I would have a party. This student throws the ball to another one and so on. You can`t imagine the good stories they make up. We sometimes end up laughing. Hope it helps
teresa

14 Jan 2014