Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > A question to native speakers: participle clauses    

A question to native speakers: participle clauses

ueslteacher
Ukraine

A question to native speakers: participle clauses

I �d like to know if perfect participle clause would be grammatically correct with the verbs of sense perception and motion (arrive, see, hear,enter, etc.)

I was taught that even when priority is meant, present participle should be used with the verbs of sense perception and motion, hense my question to native speakers.

Hearing the footsteps downstairs, he rushed to the door.

Having heard the footsteps downstairs, he rushed to the door.

14 Jan 2014      

douglas
United States

Both sound good to me, but that is just NS "gut" feeling--no support for it.

14 Jan 2014     

yanogator
United States

I �d say that the second option implies that the hearing was at an earlier time, so it doesn �t work very well here.

Hearing that tickets went on sale the next day, I hurried to the box office to be the first in line.  (immediate response)

Having heard that the band was coming to town, I wanted to be the first in line to buy tickets.   (response happens at a later time)

Bruce

14 Jan 2014     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Thank you both, Bruce and Doug! That was what I suspected that both are gramatically correct but have a difference in meaning and depend on the time span between the two actions.
I wonder how it sounds to the British people...

15 Jan 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Well, Bruce is right (of course) that �having heard � implies a bit more of a distance between the hearing and the following action. However, I think most people would use them interchangeably and both are quite formal structures - definitely written expressions. 

15 Jan 2014