Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > word of the day    

word of the day

MarionG
Netherlands

word of the day

Thank you Ed!  I only noticed I won the wod now. I just came back from a much needed weekend away, just relaxing and enjoying the outdoors.

Here is my choice for a new round of the Word of the Day game;

CAPERNOITED

I am looking forward to reading your silly, witty, daft, outrageous, and ORIGINAL definitions for this lovely word.

For new players, �original � was a hint; the idea is to make up a definition of your own, not to give the real definition.

Have fun!

18 Jan 2014      

MoodyMoody
United States

Capernoited is the feeling one has after a night of debauchery.

Caper: wild or foolish prank
noite: French word for night
-(e)d: suffix for past participle or adjective, e.g., embarrass/embarrassed

So, teenagers and college students are especially vulnerable to feeling capernoited. Think back to those days in your own life! (Sadly, I have been capernoited only about twice in my whole life. I led a dull and lonely life as a teenager and college student. But I �m in the minority, I �m sure.)

18 Jan 2014     

isa2
Austria

After the wedding-eve party Tom told me that he was capernoited meaning that he had drunk too much CABERNET wine.

18 Jan 2014     

edrodmedina
United States

Isa I beg to differ. This one I know cause I was around when the word was coined. Capernoited is actually a word created in Brooklyn in the old Jewish neighborhoods. It refers to when the guy behind the counter at the deli puts too many capers on your bagel with cream cheese and lox. "Jeez Morty. You sointently capernoited my bagel again!" Ed

18 Jan 2014     

maryse pey�
France

Remember Cyrano of Bergerac and his nose, what do I say ! A CAPE !
This nose is a big Round NOse.
And the character is as passionate as if he were ITalian.
-ED is the adjectival suffix.

so

CAPERNOITED expresses the characteristic of a man having a big Round NOse, twin of Cyrano �s one, and thinking and behaving like him. That is to say he is passionate, able to write very good poetry and can be easily vexed if you speak about his nose...

I �m sure Alexander Dumas would agree !

18 Jan 2014     

MoodyMoody
United States

Didn �t Edmond Rostand write Cyrano de Bergerac, maryse pey�?

18 Jan 2014     

edrodmedina
United States

Ahmmm...Maryse, I am not an adjectival suffix. ED

18 Jan 2014     

maryse pey�
France

Hi Moody Moody dear my week was overbusy and my brain is a little messy !!!

And dear dear Ed you are ... one of the best !

I �m afraid I �m capernoited : my cap-er- noi(sy)-ted(ious) is for my poor reason !

Thanks dear friends to be such vigilant !

18 Jan 2014     

sarguero
Spain

In the Pizza Hut a capernoited is the one who controls the quantity of capers in the anchovies pizza.

19 Jan 2014     

isa2
Austria

Ed, Wink I know exactly how Tom speaks when he has one over the eight. He slurs every word VERY slowly and hiccups in between the syllables. He definitely was not able to distinguish between a P and a B any more.
Maybe you heard the word in the bakery, but then it surely had another meaning... Mightn �t  your "Brooklyner" have used argot to refer to pulling off something crooked???

(>>> CAPER = an  illegal or questionable act)

19 Jan 2014