Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > has to/ have to/ had to    

has to/ have to/ had to

pinkblossom
Germany

has to/ have to/ had to

Dear Friends,

I confused about these two sentences, which one is correct? considering the following sentence, when we want to change it to the question form, i confused with have to and has to....

She had to study. 

Did she has to study? .......or Did she have to study? which one is correct?Ermm

Thanks for your help in advance.

21 Jan 2014      

you_per7
Algeria

Did she have  to study???? I think this is the correct answer.

Aux + s + inf without to....?

21 Jan 2014     

mohamedthabet
Tunisia

per7 is right. The infinitive is "have" . Present simple is "has" with he,she,it and "have" with I,You,We, They. Question form does she have / do they have?

Past of have is had with all pronouns, the question form is "did she have / did they have?

21 Jan 2014     

dufffy
France

Did she have to study?
 It"s the simple past question form and the verb always comes back to the infinitive state without   for the  questions or negative forms

She had to study!  Did she have to study?  She didn �t have to study! 

21 Jan 2014     

MoodyMoody
United States

The way I teach using do/did as auxiliary verbs for questions and negatives in the simple present and the simple past is to always change do, not the main verb. So the -s marker for third person singular in the simple present is "She doesn �t have to study" goes on do, for does. And the past tense marker works the same way: "Did she have to study?" I �m a big believer in learning one rule and using it wherever it applies whenever possible.

21 Jan 2014