Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Plural    

Plural

baloochester
France

Plural

I �m studying some press articles with my students about Malala Youssssafzai.

In all these press articles it �s always written "the Taleban" (without an "s" at the end) even when it is used as a plural, and one of my pupils asked me why.
I answered him  that I had no idea why there was no "s" when used as a plural.

Does anyone know and could explain to me why?

thank you Smile

23 Jan 2014      

Isabel L
Spain

Because it is a plural noun. The singular is talib (or sth like that).

23 Jan 2014     

oumsalsabil
Algeria

Good answer Isabel L, I want just to add that Taliban is a word in Arabic and it means only two students. Unlike other languages, in Arabic lgge, a noun can have three forms the singular, the plural (but more than two items can make the plural form of nouns) coze two items of sth are called "MUTHANA" and are not considered plural. Besides, "Taliban" word is a proper noun and must be used as it is in arabic without an "s" coze it �s not plural.
Hope it �s clear.

23 Jan 2014     

piranhac
Tunisia

though the word Talebn has an Arabic derivation,it �s a word in Pachtu _the Afghan language  it means students of Islamic religion
cheers

23 Jan 2014     

baloochester
France

Thanks a lot to all of you Smile

My pupil will be as glad as I am when I give him the answer tomorrow  Smile

23 Jan 2014     

yanogator
United States

You have the answers about the Arabic word, but I think the article was in English, so here is the English answer to your question.

Taliban is a collective noun in English, so it is a singular noun, like family or class.

Bruce

23 Jan 2014