Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > fact or opinion    

fact or opinion

edrodmedina
United States

fact or opinion

Hey gang! I �m going to be working on fact or opinions with my 2nd grade students. The definition that keeps popping up in their text and elsewhere is that a fact is a statement that can be proven true or false. My question is, if a statement is proven false how can it still be a fact? Ed

25 Jan 2014      

Jayho
Australia

Hi Ed

It comes down to whether you can prove something as true or false.  If it is false, then it is a fact that it is false because it can be proven that the truth is blah blah blah. An opinion can�t be proven and is often related to emotions (so look for the emotion words in the statement).

e.g. a spider has six legs is a fact because it can be proven that a spider has eight legs (we can look at a spider and count the legs (providing he hasn�t lost any!))
a spider is scary is an opinion because it can�t be proven that spiders are scary.  Some people actually love spiders (arachnophiles?) (and this is a fact because if we google it we will find proof)

BTW, I can highly recommend these activity cards which I have been using for several years now, and mostly with adults.  I made four laminated sets for group work, in different colours, and they have been one of my most used resources.  BBC Skillswise also has a good set of resources.

Cheers

Jayho

25 Jan 2014     

edrodmedina
United States

Thanks Jay. I really like the cards. I guess what I �m having a problem with is calling something that is untrue a "fact", but I think I get it.

25 Jan 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Ed, I see what you mean. Can we say they are factual statements since they are not facts if they are false? 
Great link, Jayho, thanks. 

26 Jan 2014