Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Word of the Day Contest    

Word of the Day Contest

MoodyMoody
United States

Word of the Day Contest

Thank you, sarguero, for furthering my nefarious plan to take over the contests! (Ed, help me out here!) So anyway, here �s the new Word of the Day:

SOLANACEOUS.

Remember, fake definitions only! The funnier and cleverer your definition is, the more likely you are to win! Have at it, troops!

30 Jan 2014      

sarguero
Spain

Solanaceous

Sol = Sun in Spanish    Ana = Ann    Ceous = Latin suffix

A spanglish word meaning "Ana likes sunbathing"

30 Jan 2014     

edrodmedina
United States

I think many women can identify with this word. While some women have no problems during pregnancy, there are those who suffer with varying degrees of morning sickness. These women get nauseous and want to be alone while they toss their cookies. sola = alone, naceous = nauseous

30 Jan 2014     

htunde
Hungary

oh, it is just the scientific way to say sun struck.
solar - originates from the sun
naceous (as edrodmedina very correctly stated)= nauseous

31 Jan 2014     

teresasimoes
Portugal

Solanaceous

That�s  what one feels when there�s no way to sleep after sun burnt.

31 Jan 2014     

oumsalsabil
Algeria

I think the term is a combination of the following:
 solo= perform alone
 anaclisis= tendency to choose a mate who resembles a parent or parental figure (Psychology)
 eous= a suffix to form adjectives
 So solanaceous is a term  used to describe a person who refuses to marry and because he/she is forced to do it, he/she sets conditions that the spouse must be the clone of his/her parent.

31 Jan 2014     

viccxx
Greece

Solanacious...

So...Lan...acious. It describes the computer geek that after long hours of trying, finally aced the LAN network.

31 Jan 2014     

mohamedthabet
Tunisia

solanaceous (adj) = resembling / sharing some feature with the solan bird (also named Northern gannet)

e.g : solanaceous flight, solanaceos dive, solanaceous coat (with sleeves differently colored)

solanacous plunge

31 Jan 2014