Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > WOD for February 7-?, 2014 (day 2)    

WOD for February 7-?, 2014 (day 2)

douglas
United States

WOD for February 7-?, 2014 (day 2)

Hi Everybody!

The WOD is SERENDIPITY 

I am interested in hearing both a daffyniton and an explanation of the true meaning of the word.

I find I have trouble explaining its meaning  to my students (there is no equaul word in German) so your explantions may help.

Cheers,
Douglas

11 Feb 2014      

ascincoquinas
Portugal

SERENDIPITY

the state of being serene while someone keeps telling stupid remarksWink.

11 Feb 2014     

edrodmedina
United States

I know this is not quite what Douglas asked for but I was inspired to do some research as to the etymology of the word and to share my findings with the wonderful community that is ESLprintables. After some exhausting research the following is what I found.

The Dipity family is well known throughout New England and it is said there might be the possibility that one might be able to trace their family back to the Mayflower.  The Dips as they became to be known were not the sharpest tools in the shed. It seemed that as the years went by the gene pool got shallower and shallower for the Dips. It wasn�t until the 1950�s that there seemed to be some sort of mutation somewhere along the branches of the Dipity family tree. Sarah exhibited brilliance never before witnessed in the Dipity household. Why by the age of 6 she was actually talking and walking although not necessarily at the same time. Before they knew it at the age of 23 Sarah graduated from high school. It is this accomplishment and truly unexpected event which surprised the family and the community that became known as a sarahdipity. Unfortunately, although Sarah had graduated from high school, she did not quite master spelling and so the word became serendipity to reflect Sarah�s pronunciation and spelling of her name.

11 Feb 2014     

Terri Lawson
New Zealand

@ Ed - thanks for the chuckle!!!

11 Feb 2014     

douglas
United States

Okay ED,

You �ve got the hand-off. Congratulations.

And as a small note from outside observers of the Dipity family.  About 10 months before Sarah was born, a "tall, dark and handsome" young man came to work for the Dipitys for a short time.  I �ll let you draw any conclusions on how that may have affecte dthe Dipity genepool.

Cheers,
Douglas

12 Feb 2014