Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Repost WOD    

Repost WOD

edrodmedina
United States

Repost WOD

Thank you Douglas for passing me the baton. In all the research that I did on the Dipities I never came across any mention of a tall, dark and handsome stranger working for them. Hhhhmmm, how did you find out about this person? Some deep dark family secret you want to share perhaps?

Anyway, the new WOD is:ANTHROPODERMIC. Okay ladies and gentlemen (and if you don�t fall into either category you�re still welcome to join in) let�s hear your witty, silly and/or creative definitions for this word. Remember we want a made up definition not the true meaning of the word. All who submit a definition will have their names entered into a lottery and will be eligible to win the grand prize of a free all accommodations paid for trip to the opening day ceremonies of the winter Olympics in Sochi. Good luck!!! Ed

For the hundreds of entries already made please follow the link: http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=44353

12 Feb 2014      

MoodyMoody
United States

Glad to hear you �re including the gender queer, Ed. (I still identify as female, though.)

Anthropodermic refers to the cases of seed pods of Romanian flowers, most notably poppies. Anthropodermic opium, made from Romanian opium poppies, is widely considered some of the best score in the world.

anth: flower
ro: abbreviation for Romania
pod: seed packet
derm: skin
-ic: adjectival suffix

12 Feb 2014     

sarguero
Spain

Anthropodermic             Anthropos = Greek for human or man

Ant = tiny laborious insect    hropodermic = corrupted way to say hypodermic

Ultimate robotic technology using nanorobots under the skin against all kind of impure thoughts, very useful when you are watching your favourite and beautiful actress at the cinema with your wife.  Embarrassed

13 Feb 2014     

alexcure
Poland

Anthropodermic - a quality of electronic devices such as ipods, which are made to work very well especially in difficult desert conditions, where sand can ruin many such devices, and are designed so that they attach to human bodies very easily and hence their owners never loose them. 

anthro - "connected to humans"
pod - "the short form of ipod"
ermic or eremic - "of or related to deserts or sandy regions"

13 Feb 2014     

douglas
United States

Concerning local hillybilly complexions (perhaps a trait passed along via inbreeding?).

anthro: human or sentient
po: podunk (i.e. hillybilly)
dermic: of or relating to the skin

"Hey look at Jeb junior �s skin, it �s just as anthropodermic as Uncle Bubba and his brothers �--he �s definitely a Dipity, I don �t know about the dark hair though."

14 Feb 2014