Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > great help for Linking words / Transitional words    

great help for Linking words / Transitional words

mauro78
Colombia

great help for Linking words / Transitional words

Hello, Buddies!!

Currently I am working Linking Words - Transitional words and I really want to do activities, I hafve worked grammar, fill in the gaps activities, but I want to work card games or general games where my students can use them in a natural way, not only from the grammar perspective.

Could you please give me some ideas or tips about this topics (to be honest I haven�t be very successful teaching this topic in a fun - significat way)

I really appreciate all comments I receive... THANKS A MILLION IN ADVANCED!! :)

19 Feb 2014      

Sharwong
Canada

Here is a fun speaking activity for adults at the intermediate and above level:

Use controversial statements, handing out one to each student. Line students up opposite one another in a row. 
Students have to decide whether they agree or disagree with the statement and give a reason (cause and effect linker) 

Aliens walk among us.
There is no God.
Women are smarter than men.
Money is the most important thing in the world, etc.

Each reads their statements and agrees or disagrees with reason, then partner has to rebutt (disagree contrast linker), playing devil �s advocate, if they need to.

Give 5 minutes for both statements and then move to the right for a new partner.

Another good activity is with watching a short news segment on trends or social/health problems) and get students to sum up the video using cause and effect linkers

Sharon

19 Feb 2014