Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > A Picture Perfect Solution    

A Picture Perfect Solution

douglas
United States

A Picture Perfect Solution

Hi all!

Our marketing department just contacted me and asked about the use of "picture perfect" for technical stuff. 

"We offer repair kits that are a picture perfect solution to your maintenance needs".

My first feeling is that it seems a little strange in this context, but the more I wrap my brain around it, the better it sounds.  (PS: I know what Webster �s and Oxford say about it, but they are too vague on exact usage.)

What are your opinions/thoughts? Are there any alternatives you could suggest?

Thanks,
Douglas

25 Feb 2014      

maryse pey�
France

Hi dear Douglas, One of the possible hypothesis may be to restore pictures damaged after several photocopies of a document. The quality of the text changes of course, but it is particularly true for the pictures. Or if a picture is not clear enough (due to the poor quality of the 1st picture) it may help to give a better definition of the pixels, like in the scientific process to have a better portrait of a missing person. I am not good enough in computing but that the ideas I had reading your post. Hugs dear friend. Maryse.

25 Feb 2014     

edrodmedina
United States

My first reaction is that the word picture is superfluous, but if it is in the context of copiers I can see the play on words. Ed

25 Feb 2014     

douglas
United States

The products are fittings for different kinds of plants (oil refineries etc.), so they aren �t really anything that would tie to  a beautiful landscape/bride/ image, etc.. 

I guess marketing is looking for something that is a little catchy ("perfect solution" has no pizzaz)

25 Feb 2014     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Douglas

"Picture Perfect" means that something is just right, just perfect, like a perfect picture on the wall.  I think it fits ok grammatically but it does sound a little strange to my NS ears. It�s a bit prissy, especially for manufacturing.

When I googled it though, I discovered that lots of Australian companies use this expression: see here

If the product is related to oil maybe something like "We offer repair kits that are a super slick solution to your maintenance needs" might be more apt.Wink

Cheers

Jayho

25 Feb 2014     

douglas
United States

Thanks you all, My Feelings are pretty much the same as Jayho �s (I like the way you put it: "Prissy"). I just wanted to see if others saw it that way too. Any thoughts from others (especially native Speakers, because it is more of a common use question). Thanks, Douglas

25 Feb 2014     

douglas
United States

Any more comments/thoughts?  (I �ve got to answer our Marketing Manager today Smile )

Cheers,
Douglas

26 Feb 2014