Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > the gruffalo    

the gruffalo

jamiejules
France

the gruffalo

hi dear friends
I was away from the site for a few days.I have been a member for along time now. When I logged in this morning I found out that one of my ws was removed (from2009!) because it was taken from a book! (I used the same pictures that the other users use and made the activity myself!)
It was a wordsearch on the gruffalo. there are many ws on the gruffalo on the site and to my surprise my other ws on the same topic were not reported...
Can someone explain?
thanks
Jamiejules

27 Feb 2014      

Jayho
Australia

Hi Jamiejules

There was some discussion recently about various issues regarding rules and reported worksheets.  At that time, I believe there might have been a handful of Gruffalo worksheets on the reporting page. I didn �t look into them (nor vote on them) and I �m not sure whose they were.  They might have been yours.  Maybe Victor can clarify.

In the meantime, maybe you could re-upload them.

Cheers

Jayho

27 Feb 2014     

David Lisgo
Japan

I would be a little wary about re-uploading a worksheet that was voted off, myself. I can �t find the messages on the forum about the various Gruffalo worksheets that were voted off. Your, I believe, were not the first nor the most contentious. I think two PPTs were voted off also as they contain original pictures from a book. As Jayho (if I recall correctly) pointed out they were not against the rules of this site, but they would seem to break copyright law. Sorry slightly I �m under the weather this week and not at all thinking clearly; not that I ever do.

Sorry Jayho. Perhaps I should have used a full stop instead of a comma before "but", then my meaning would have been clearer. Not wanting to bump you.

27 Feb 2014     

Jayho
Australia

David, I would just like to clarify that I never referred to the Gruffalo worksheets nor did I say that any pictures broke copyright laws.  That was implied by others.  I was directly responding to the reported printable in question which then led to copyright issues. My stance on this issue is:

- You can use copyrighted images under fair use rules for educational purposes as long as you follow those rules (which are different for each country)

- Breaching copyright is not listed in the site rules and as such we shouldn�t report on it

I don�t generally vote on these printables unless they break a different rule such as being taken from an ESL website or book.

Jamiejules, you might like to contact Victor to clarify.

Cheers

Jayho

27 Feb 2014     

maestralidia
Italy

as for the Gruffalo, I think it �s the same for those ws where we find the Simpsons, the smurfs, Toys, Frozen.... and so on. the rules are good for somebody, but the same rules are not good for someone else. It depends of the moderators or who is watching the ws. I think it is better if Victor clarify and review the rules. bye. Lidia

27 Feb 2014     

jamiejules
France

I guess I �ll have to contact Victor... I am a moderator myself and I never vote for a ws to be removed if does not infringe the stated rules! now I am assuming that some people voted for it to go, unless maybe  if no one votes one way or another it still goes? I am confused and very disappointed.
by the way as my laptop died last year I don �t even have my own ws anymore... If anyone has it could you send me a pm
Thanks guys
Jamiejules

27 Feb 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

well, stated rules or not stated rules, i am always careful about copyright infringement. in taking someone else �s work, you are gambling that either they won �t notice or they don �t care and this is probably true most of the time. But what about that one incident when someone takes exception to their work being appropriated? that is when things could get nasty for this site. it,s pretty strict in England. i would never take the images from a book for example and upload them here claiming copyright, which is what we effectively do when we Upload a worksheet here. is it fair to take ownership of someone else,s work like this, friends? i think we should take responsibility that what we upload is really ours to upload.       sorry for poor punctuation etc i only have tiny tablet, no computer. lynne xxx

27 Feb 2014     

Jayho
Australia

Just to throw another spanner in the works ...

Although it is not covered in the site rules it is actually a reporting code:

It contains copyrighted images from .

Anyone who has reported printables for breach of copyright using this code has done so legitimately.

It would be great if Victor clarified this issue.

Cheers

Jayho

27 Feb 2014     

alien boy
Japan

I always thought one of the most important aspects of the �Fair Use � defence (in jurisdictions wher it can be used) relate to whether or not it impinges on the ability of the copyright owner to gain an income from their work.

In other respects, it is also a good idea to provide a reference for where you obtained the picture, particularly if it �s form a publication or artist.

We �ve had lots & lots of discussions over the years about copyright....

27 Feb 2014