Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Vowels can be superfluous!    

Vowels can be superfluous!

nirvana
Morocco

Vowels can be superfluous!

�Thanks to the redundancy of language, yxx cxn xndxrstxnd whxt x xm wrxtxng xvxn xf x rxplxcx xll thx vxwxls wxth xn "x" (t gts lttl hrdr f y dn �t vn kn whr th vwls r)� 
― Steven Pinker

4 Mar 2014      

maryse pey�
France

You can understand what I am writing even if I replace all the vowels with an "x" (it gets a little harder if you don �t even know where the vowels are ! DONE.

4 Mar 2014     

nirvana
Morocco

There you go! That obviates the need for vowels. Doesn �t it

4 Mar 2014     

edrodmedina
United States

But you only know the words because you �ve seen them with vowels and you have enough background knowledge of how vowels work. Ed

4 Mar 2014     

nirvana
Morocco

Sure thing ... that �s a tautology.

4 Mar 2014     

minimal70
Morocco

If language were important then Deaf people wouldn �t be able to communicate. If vowels were important, consonants like  م ت ع ش ك ل wouldn �t mean anything, at least in Arabic like languages, whereas they would  .كل و عش و مت  I guess you understand 

4 Mar 2014     

alien boy
Japan

Studies have shown that sign language/deaf language acquisition follows a very similar process to spoken language acquisition.

The above example works for all alphabetic languages, but not so well for ideoographic/logographic based writing systems like kanji.

Cheers,
AB

4 Mar 2014     

nirvana
Morocco

I agree with the first part of your comment suggesting that deaf people can still communicate despite their inability to hear and speak. However, the second part of your comment was heedless of the fact that "in Arabic" unlike "in Latin" vowels are superseded by "diactric marks" that are placed above the letters. 

4 Mar 2014     

nirvana
Morocco

Alien boy, your idea is actually tenable; because just like in Latin, I could still read words in Arabic in the absence of diactric marks that substitute vowels. I wonder though what makes kanji an exception.

4 Mar 2014     

alien boy
Japan

Kanji is an ideogrammatic form, so the concept is conveyed by using single or combined characters. Often meanings can be changed by different kanji being next to each other, hence the difficulty. Kanji don�t represent sounds in the same way that alphabets do.

Another common trick with alphabetic scripts are to leave the first & last letter in place, but to mix the letters in between up. Most people will still be able to read it without any issues!

Hree is an eplmaxe. I �m srue taht msot of our mrembes slhoud not hvae too mnay pobrlmes wtih tsih scentnee!

Cheers,
AB

4 Mar 2014     

ronit85
Israel

Hi,
In Hebrew the vowels are deleted within the words and only represented by symbols above and under the words. Once a child has mastered reading the symbols are deleted and most reading is done without vowels.Sometimes this can lead to confusion as you must understand the global meaning of the sentence to know which vowels to insert while reading, but  I am not the one to claim Hebrew is a difficult language!

4 Mar 2014     

1    2    Next >