Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Who / Whom    

Who / Whom

nemomen
Romania

Who / Whom

Isn �t WHOM always used as the object of a relative clause or WHO can also be used as the object? I know WHOM is the formal one but I just need to be sure that WHO can also be object
e.g. This is the man WHO/WHOM I met at the party.
Thank you so much!>:D<

6 Mar 2014      

ascincoquinas
Portugal

Hi Nemomen!

Take a look at this link, might be useful:

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/words/who-or-whom

6 Mar 2014     

douglas
United States

I �m one that stands on the side of never using "whom" with one exception: "To whom it may concern"
In my opinion (which is now supported by most "experts" whom has become archaic (such as the words "thee", "thou", and "thou").  There are still specific things we say out of tradition where the words are commonly used, but only in these contexts (e.g. common bible/Shakespeare quotes).

Use and teach only who--it �s easier for everyone involved! Smile

Cheers,
Douglas 

7 Mar 2014     

joy2bill
Australia

I must agree with Douglas...whom is just not used nowadays except for certain formulaic expressions. I always tell my students that such old fashioned words, correct though they may be, make you sound like you have swallowed the grammar book!

7 Mar 2014