Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Winner of WOD (March 14th)    

Winner of WOD (March 14th)

oumsalsabil
Algeria

Winner of WOD (March 14th)

Sometimes we say something  just for kidding, then we wish we hadn�t said it when it turns against us and proves  true. When I said � I�ll choose the first  who posts a definition as  a winner� , I didn�t mean it . Then the definitions came one after another ( although few), and each time I read an entry, I said :well this is the best and I don�t think other competitors will come up with a better idea.

Really diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiifficult to choose a winner among you, you are all smart . While Douglas and the lady- of -roses have  both extracted the meaning of the word Catoptromancy   from dramatic works, Lynne and isa have chosen to give it a historical concept by referring to the Roman Cato.  VERY CREATIVE !

Granted that Moody�s definition was very different and funny, the funniestof them all , all the same I think that ascincoquinas has come up with both a misleading and catchy definition. Just what I was looking for : a witty definition that is easy to bear in mind and mislead unenlightened people with! Thus I declare him/her the winner.Please , go ahead  and suggest another word!

Now the real meaning of Catoptromancy is: A species of divination, which was performed by letting down a mirror into water, for a sick person to look at his face in it. If his countenance appeared distorted and ghastly, it was an ill omen; if fresh and healthy, it was favorable.

17 Mar 2014      

ascincoquinas
Portugal

Hi oumsalsabil!

Thanks for choosing me the winner of the WOD.

I �ll post a new word as soon as possible.

Ascincoquinas

17 Mar 2014