Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Vocabulary doubt - help please!!    

Vocabulary doubt - help please!!

Chilvis
Argentina

Vocabulary doubt - help please!!

Hello everyone, I need your help. I know it �s usually called handrail or banister but can it also be a "baranda" as we call it in spanish? One of my students says a teacher once taught her this is called a baranda in English, and then a colleague told me she �s also heard it this way but I can �t find it in any dictionary. Is baranda then a possible word for this? And what about the one in balconies?   

17 Mar 2014      

Apodo
Australia

This is a handrail or banister. I �ve never heard the word baranda.

A large balcony is called a veranda / verandah. Could this have caused the confusion?

Balcony rail, verandah rail are both used. 

18 Mar 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Never heard the word �baranda � but I like it!

18 Mar 2014     

douglas
United States

I �ve never heard "baranda"--sounds like your student �s ex-teacher may have been wrong (or grew-up in a bilingual environment where the word was common for that group).

18 Mar 2014     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

I have never heard baranda and I lived in England for three years. But it sounds nice. ;-)

18 Mar 2014     

ChipW
Colombia

I lived in the US all my life before relocating to Colombia and I have never heard of the word Baranda as well.

18 Mar 2014     

abitano
Argentina

"Baranda" being coined in 5, 4, 3, 2.... LOL

18 Mar 2014     

abitano
Argentina

"Baranda" being coined in 5, 4, 3, 2.... LOL

18 Mar 2014     

MoodyMoody
United States

I agree with Apodo; the word your friend probably heard was veranda, which is more like a porch outside. As an American from the South, this is what I think of when I hear veranda:

I would not use veranda to describe your picture. I would call it a staircase with a handrail or a banister.

As much as I love new words in English, I would be against adding "baranda" because it is too close to the words "veranda," and we have enough confusing groups of words already!

18 Mar 2014     

yanogator
United States

The English word "veranda" is probably related to the Portuguese "varanda" and the Spanish "baranda", although it comes to us from Hindi, but we definitely don �t use "baranda" in English.

Bruce

18 Mar 2014     

MarionG
Netherlands

Sometimes, when a kid writes an Anglicized word in his or her compositition, I let it slip because I think it is cute. Usually that just means they write the Hebrew word with "English" letters.  I teach primary school and I really don �t think they need to know the word cilantro, I think it makes it so much more �theirs � when an 8 year old writes: I like cousbara.
Maybe your student got the same treatment with the word �baranda �?

oh dear, did I just admit to being a horrible teacher?? Embarrassed

(Oh, I must add, I will usually point out that there is an English word for what they wrote, but that I think it is OK to leave it the way they wrote it.)

18 Mar 2014     

1    2    Next >