Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Please, I wonder if any of you could help me!    

Please, I wonder if any of you could help me!

Thalia Gralik
Brazil

Please, I wonder if any of you could help me!

Hello dear friends,
I do need some help here. Since an adverb is used to modify a verb, an adjective or another adverb, which of the following sentence is the correct grammatically? I do need to explain the reasons to 5th graders.
-how are you? Very well, thanks.
-how are you? Very good, thanks.
... I am bewildered with this issue. Thanks a lot for your help.
Thalia Gralik

31 Mar 2014      

yanogator
United States

Hey, Thalia, don �t forget that "well" is also an adjective that means "healthy".

Bruce

31 Mar 2014     

Zora
Canada

Both are correct because well can also mean good/healthy as Bruce has stated. 

"To be" is actually a linking verb. It links the subject with it �s complement.  You are not modifying the verb "to be" so it doesn �t need/use an adverb. 

You wouldn �t say for example:

I am slowly.  - with adverb

However, you would say:

I am slow. - with adjective

I find that substituting things often helps you come to an answer that makes sense. English grammar does follow the rules (most of the time). lol

31 Mar 2014     

jannabanna
France

Bruce is right when we say: �I�m well� it means �I�m in good health�, but as a native British speaker, I wouldn�t answer, �How are you?� with �Very good, thanks�.  It just doesn�t sound correct to me.

I would however use: �Very good.� if someone asked me what I thought of a dish, for example:  �What do you think of the curry?�  �Oh, it�s very good, thanks."

Janet

1 Apr 2014     

Jayho
Australia

That�s so funny Janet - �cos that �s exactly how we say it down here at the bottom of the world.  It just goes to show how different English can be from one native speaking country to another.

Cheers

Jayho

1 Apr 2014     

joy2bill
Australia

Many people answer "good � thanks" to the question but never "very good".

1 Apr 2014     

Jayho
Australia

It must be different then where you are Joy, because that is common here

Cheers

Jayho

1 Apr 2014     

Peter Hardy
Australia

In my part of Oz the answer to "How are you" can also be "Pretty good, thanks". Some jokers like myself may say "So far, so good, thanks" especially on Monday mornings. But then, Jayho, I live on top of the world, and not down under. Didn �t you know it �s a fact the world map was drawn upside down? We �re the head of the world, and New Zealand is our crown. Much better than being the arse of the world, which makes New Zealand a pile of crap. (Excuse the language, but as I�m a flying Kiwi (Dutch born) living in Oz, I had to explain this :-) Cheers, Peter.

1 Apr 2014     

jannabanna
France

Lovely Peter!  Made me laugh !!!

Janet

1 Apr 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

�Very well �. 
Sometimes (in England) people say. �I �m good � but they usually have some connection with the States or wish they had. I �m guilty of this myself, but I  have the good grace to say it in an American accent. 

1 Apr 2014