Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > language question    

language question

Sharwong
Canada

language question

Fellow teachers:

In a Use of English part 2 exercise, there was a sentence with a gapfill. 
"Science is not logical.  If it were, scientists would be out of a job because it would be possible to explain everything ____reference to a few basic ideas/"

I immediately put "in" but the answer was incorrect.  The correct answer was
"by/with"

What �s the difference between "in reference to" vs "by/with reference to?"

14 Apr 2014      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

If you look at the idiomatic use here, it has in and with written with a slash, so, to my mind, they are synonymous.
I guess, this could be as much of a difference as between "explain everything referring to a few basic ideas (with/in reference to)" and "explain everything by/with a help of a few basic ideas (by reference to)"
but again I am not anative speaker...

15 Apr 2014     

Apodo
Australia

Science is not logical.  If it were, scientists would be out of a job because it would be possible to explain everything ____reference to a few basic ideas/"

What �s the difference between "in reference to" vs "by/with reference to?"

I read this sentence out loud and as a native speaker I automatically filled the gap using �with �.

Why? It sounds right in this particular sentence and there is a subtle difference in meaning.

This how I would use �in reference to �: The principal will speak to you in reference to the student �s progress. (He will refer to a particular matter)

Science could explain everything with reference to a few basic ideas. (Science is going to use these ideas with their explanations in an ongoing way)

15 Apr 2014     

Lovely Lana
Greece

You seem to be not the only one puzzled by that question. Look here.

15 Apr 2014     

yanogator
United States

Apodo explained it nicely. "In reference to" means "about." "With reference to" means "using as a source/help."

Bruce

15 Apr 2014     

Sharwong
Canada

I think I �ve got it.

In reference to (about) the staff meeting agenda, the last item is deleted.

With reference to (a source) the staff policy guide, 5a) clearly states that smoking on the balcony is prohibited.

Thanks for the clarification!

15 Apr 2014