Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > A note for teachers    

A note for teachers

pinkblossom
Germany

A note for teachers

The discussion that I had with one of member, the comments, that member�s voice, etc., lead me to defend my right.,,� It seems that I entered into a vicious circle.  I have to explain that his odd use of words and really no correction lead me to had a bad feeling of his message, finally misunderstanding as it seems. For me, there is a difference between correcting someone and embarrassing (when there is no correction). Correction never leads to embarrassment. It is important for me to say that I didn�t try to hide the truth or pretending it. I have never had such discussion with anyone in my lifetime even on the net. This accepted misunderstanding causes to read the book, Discourse Analysis for Language Teachers by Michael McCarthy, more closely, considered the importance of context and vocabulary. I�m first a teacher, then, supervisor, exam designer and Ph.D. candidate,  I have not such character to denounce or harass anyone,.. I say bye and express my gratitude for those who really intended to help me and others to know the rules of grammar, vocabularies, context, etc., affably.

P.S.

For Douglas and his friends,

The outcome of discussion: In the places that I work, we follow only books based on the policy of the schools and institutes, I found that some of you who are well-known have really great works,  I suggest you to prepare a book based on arranging your works and adding content. I can introduce you a publisher in Germany.,, many more students can benefit from you works and you can benefit as well. This is only a suggestion, you can think about it����.

HAVE FUN

13 May 2014      

dhouha
Tunisia

Dear colleague,
your words are really precious,I totally agree with you. In addition we are esl teachers , we may sometimes find problems and even learn from our mistakes . Perfection has never a room for us. But we try to realize perfection. We teach and we learn from our expeririences.
Have a nice day     :))

14 May 2014     

Peter Hardy
Australia

Dear, Dhouha and Pinkbossom. I have followed this discussion with interest, and I, too, came to the conclusion that it was all a misunderstanding. We all try to do the right thing, but by definition, trying implies (at times) failure. Most of us are willing to help each other. It �s in our blood as teachers (I assume). But, as in the classroom, at times we do not succeed. Maybe it �s a good idea to follow an old philosophy: we accept what is; if we can �t, we change what we can (ourselves!); and if that �s impossible too, we move on. I tend to apply number two most of the time. If my students struggle to express themselves, I always try to change my understanding. That works most of the time. Not always, as trying ... indeed ... implies failure. And indeed, I learn each and every time (day) from my mistakes, even after more than 30 years of teaching. What keeps me going is not aiming for perfection, which invites more failure, but the effort to do ones best. By the way, in many cultures corrections lead to embarrassment, no matter what. All I can do is to show neither (corrections or embarrassment) will kill us. So take a deep breath and sing a song, like, "Oh Lord, don �t let ME be misunderstood". Cheers. Peter.

14 May 2014