Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > S.O.S. Help please!    

S.O.S. Help please!

Mar0919
Mexico

S.O.S. Help please!

Hello, everyone! I  hope someone out there can help me... You see, I am in the process of organizing a "guide" for my teachers to help guide them as to what students in each grade should learn, speaking about grammar. 
That is, for example, in first grade, students should learn:

alphabet
numbers 1 - ?
verb to be (affirmative)
personal pronouns?
simple verbs?-----
write short sentences?

Can you give me any ideas? for each grade, please. What are the expectations for each grade. 

we have so many textbooks, and in each, they have different point of view, so I can �t get one general idea of what specifically each grade must learn. so that when the students go to the next grade, they should have enough knowledge to continue from there. 

I don �t know if I am making much sense.... 

The thing is that at the end of the school year, I am leaving this school, and going to the United States. (again) ... and I wanted to leave the principal, some kind of guide, to help her keep an eye on the new teachers and help them know what must be taught in each grade, regardless of the textbook they will use.

Hope to hear lots of opinions..

Thanks!

Mar

19 May 2014      

lyny
Mexico

Hi Mar! I think I got what you mean but I�m not sure, lets see, may be you need the contents of a  book you are based on for each level and so you have to work on practicing speaking about each chapter, is that what you mean?

19 May 2014     

Doot
Canada

I just googled Scope and Sequence for English Language Learners and it displayed a number of International schools documents.  It probably is what you are looking for.

19 May 2014     

goospanish
Mexico

I �m learning Spanish and they have  A1  A2 and so on... Maybe this could be changed to fit english.   or do a search on levels of learning.

found this...
http://englishschool.org.uk/levels-of-english/

kind of interesting   now will do search on behavioral objectives

http://www.clayton.k12.mo.us/Page/635  ok this has some for each grade   VERY complete   this one is for kindergarden   on side has other grades

I live in Mexico ....GTO,GTO   Where are you?

19 May 2014     

paugyg
Argentina

Hello everyone! I don �t know anything about the educational system in Mexico, but here in Argentina we have "Dise�os Curriculares", this national curriculum establishes the basic knowledge of the English Language students should acquire in each grade - through primary school and high school. Of course, the curriculum established the basic content teachers should teach - you can always teach more, but not less. 
English is part of the curriculum from 4th grade onwards. You can take a look at the curriculum here:
http://servicios2.abc.gov.ar/lainstitucion/organismos/consejogeneral/disenioscurriculares/documentosdescarga/diseniocurricularparaeducacionprimaria2ciclo.pdf
(The "English" section starts on page 321).
Hope it helps!

19 May 2014     

Peter Hardy
Australia

Here is a list of the 20 most important points to be covered, as well as a brief description, for absolute beginners. I �ve based my lesson plans on this, and it keeps me busy for the whole year. Of course the order is not fixed, but more as a guide. Just what you wanted, not? Hope it �s of help to you. Cheers, Peter

Greetings - Introductions Basic �How are you � and small talk
Numbers 1 - 100 Pronunciation, counting skills, telephone numbers
Alphabet spelling Skills and pronunciation
Give Name & Personal Information Name, telephone number, address
This, that, here, there Recognizing the connections
Present of the verb to be, have and do Conjugation of the verb, question and negative forms Basic descriptive adjectives Ability to describe objects simply
Basic prepositions use in, at, to, on, etc.
There is, There are Difference between singular and plural, question and negative form
Nouns countable and uncountable what are nouns etc
Some, any, much, many When to use some and any in the positive, negative and question forms. Questions using much and many etc
Question Words The use of �wh- � question words as well as �how much � and �how many �
Adverbs of Frequency The use of adverbs of frequency such as: always, often, sometimes, never
Subject Pronouns I, You, He, She, It, We, You, They
Possessive Adjectives My, Your, His, Her, (Its), Our, Your, Their
Articles Basic rules for usage definite and indefinite articles
Jobs Names of the most common jobs
Telling the Time How to tell the time
Time expressions Using �in the morning �, �in the afternoon �, �in the evening �, �at night �, and �at � with time
Everyday Objects Well rounded basic vocabulary
Present Simple The use of the present simple for describing everyday routines, positive, negative and question forms.

19 May 2014     

douglas
United States

I base a large part of my lessons on exactly the same list as Peter. I know this doesn �t split things into ages and/or grades, but it might serve as an outline.

20 May 2014     

Mar0919
Mexico

Thank you so much, everyone, for your suggestions! Very helpful!
Paugyg, we have (dise�os curriculares) but only for secondary school, not for elementary, because English is not mandatory at the elementary level. Well, at least not in the state where I live. It is only beginning to be included in some of the upper grades in elementary school. So there is no guideline as to what the expectations for each grade are. So the different publishers just include whatever they like, and each has different opinions on that issue. I wanted something general the teachers could base on. 

All the suggestions are very helpful, thank you so much!

Clap

Hugs! 

Mar

20 May 2014